• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barnett William

aggyann10

proper brummie kid
I have posted this before but with a bit of luck i may have more success this time. I am looking for as much information as possible about my husband's grandfather William Barnett. born approx 1891. I have a marriage certificate for him,( he married Honor Massey 1912.). I am trying to find a birth/ Death certificate also census / electorial records. William and Honor had 4 children. Olive, William, Elsie (my hubby's mother) and James. I would like to hear from anyone connected with the family . Many thanks Eileen

There is a death registered in Dudley in Dec 1972 of a William born 1889 (vol 9b page 426). As the connection seems to be Dudley I am not sure their records are all available online like many Birmingham records are.

I see that his son William was William Emmanuel, so does the marriage certificate list his father's name as Emmanuel? Who were the witnesses? An address?

If so it appears that he was either the son of Emmanuel Barnett & Mary Marsh or possibly the illegitimate son of Mary.

There is a marriage for an Emmanuel Barnett & Mary Marsh registered Sep qtr 1892, Dudley. Unfortunately Emmanuel died in 1893 and a posthumous son, Emanuel died in 1894.

There doesn't appear to be a William Barnett (mmn Marsh) registered but that's not uncommon. As mentioned it's also possible that he was the illegitimate son of Mary or born before they were married and that's the reason.

William is living with an uncle and aunt, Edwin & Parthener Parkes, in 1901 and his grandmother, Ruth Marsh in 1911 as William Barnett. And that is in the parish of Sedgley the same parish as Honor Massey.

If his father isn't listed as Emmanuel then ignore all the above.

There is a death listed for a William Barnett in Bham, Sep 1964 (b1891) - Honor's death appears to be listed in Bham.

I have found Honor and William living at 23 Henley Street, Sparkbrook on 1951 Electoral roll. As my previous post Honor died there in 1952. Mike Jee posted this map on the Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook over a year ago now, but you can see #23 on it. Hope you don't mind me posting the map Mike.

Attachments

• Henley Street map c 1950 Henley st showing 38 82.96 98 and Woodman.jpg
    Henley Street map c 1950 Henley st showing 38 82.96 98 and Woodman.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 10
There is an 1861 Census to William Barnett in Little King Street. Birmingham, being the eldest of the children of Andrew and Elizabeth Barnett. Could this be a Great Grandfather? If So I am interested in a possible family connection

William and Honor Barnett

1 Arden Road , Smethwick
William Barnett b 18th August 1891 Greengrocery salesman former Farm Cowhand
Honor b 12th January 1889
William E 24th june 1915
Blacked out entry (possibly Olive R born 1913)
Elsie M 26th July 1918 (shows later married Downing 1948)

Back