• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barnett In Princes Row

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello Mike
Would you kindly look for Barnett, Princes Row, Birmingham. They had a daughter Emma in 1903.
Many thanks...Gerald
Garden Gerald

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have put this on a new thread as it is completely off topic and in the wrong section for the other thread.
On the electoral rolls Thomas & Minnie Barnett are listed at 17 Princes Row in 1935 & 1939. Also listed are Alfred Cecil, Alice, Norman Robert & Hilda Dexter. The Dexters appear to be listed only because of the fish selling business they run at this address, and to live elsewhere. Before that from 1920-1930 they lived at 2 back 58/59 Curzon st. There are two Emma Barnetts, but one has it as her married name,. The other is at 60 George St with Harold and Ellen Beddoes from 1930-1939

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello Mike
Thank you for all your hard work. I put this on the Violet Pretty thread because Emma Barnett was my mother and she
told me I was related to Violet pretty. Did the Barnetts have other children. I have tried but failed to find the link.
Hope you can help me some more.
Many thanks and best wishes...Gerald.
Garden Gerald.

pjmburns

master brummie
The 1911 census lists Thomas and Minnie with 2 children. Anna born 1902 and Emma born 1903. The address is back 59 Curzon Street. Although listed as Anna she seems to have been baptised as Annie. There is a 1920 marriage of an Annie Barnett to John Ryan in 1920 but I have no way of knowing if it is the right one.
Janice

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gerald
You should have mentioned the possible connection in your original post . there are no other Barnetts listed , but thye would have had to be still living at home, and over 21 to be listed, so no evidence, but it does not rule out the possibility

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello pjmburns
You are on the right track. John Ryan worked in the wholesale market and a heavy iron gate hit him on the back of the head and he died. Did you find a Lucy or Violet.
Many thanks and best wishes..Gerald
Garden Gerald.

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello Mike
You are quite right, far too many vegetables floating around my brain.
Many thanks and best wishes...Gerald.
Garden Gerald.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The electoral rolls give a John Joseph Ryan and Annie Ryan at 180 Linden road from 1922 to 1935, and (probably them) at 12 Short Heath road from 1950 to 1957 with a John F. & Margaret Ryan in 1950; and a Mary ryan in 1952. . In 1922 an Emma Bird is living with them.

pjmburns

master brummie
The only Lucy I found was in Minnie's will as Lucy Prichard but I assume they were born after the 1911 census?
Janice

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello pjmburns.
Lucy would be another sister. I also found a brother Frank Barnett. Their might well have been other children. Minnie and Thomas died during the war and I remember being lifted up to look at them in their coffins to say bye bye to Grandma and Grandad. As a very young child that got etched into my brain. The war decimated my family.
The Barnett family was quite large but a family that seemed to have their own wars. My Adoptive parents would tell me bits and pieces but I was very happy where I was so did not ask many questions. The story that I am Related to Violet Pretty would be through this side of my biological family.
Perhaps due to this information this post should be put back into the Violet Pretty thread.
Many thanks pjm and kindest regards Gerald
Garden Gerald.

pjmburns

master brummie
A search for children called Barnett with Mother formerly Curtis gives Ronald born 1920 and Minnie born 1922. Lucy was born in 1912. Prior to that Mother's names are only on birth certificates not the online register.
Janice

bewdley

master brummie
1939 eve of war census Lucy (Pritchard) gives her dob as 29 Sep 1912

There is also a birth for June quarter 1916

Barnett Francis H Curtis Aston 6d 909

Minnie Barnett married Edgar F Hanson March quarter 1938

bewdley

master brummie
don't know if you have this info, but Thomas' dob was 7 Dec 1878 and Minnies 24 June or possibly Jan 1878: this is off 1939 census also

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello Everyone
Many thanks for all your help.
Minnie has a daughter named Minnie and a son Francis H Curtis the maiden name of the Mother. I thought this a little unusual but perhaps common in those days.
I think Francis could be Frank who married Irene Fear the daughter of a director of J V Whites in Birmingham
wholesale market. They had one son named Garry.
I was told that the family had 5 girls one of whom was a violet and 1 boy but you good people have found a Ronald.
I have never heard of him.
In post number 4 on the Violet Pretty site I state that I have been told I am related to Violet Pretty throught the Barnett line. Perhaps there are a few Violett Pretty's in the Birmingham area.
All of these posts about Barnett that have been removed from the Violet Pretty site should be put back.
Her family tree is of more importance when writing a book about the good lady.
Again many thanks for all your help and best wishes...Gerald.
Garden Gerald.

pjmburns

master brummie
At the moment I cannot connect Violet Pretty (Anne Heywood) with your Barnett family. Emma is one of the children of Minnie Curtis and Thomas Barnett. Violet is the daughter of Edna Lowndes and Harold Pretty - I tried tracing their brothers and sisters but did not find a Barnett connection even by marriage. I also tried tracing the siblings of Thomas and Minnie but found no connection to Pretty. Perhaps I am missing a link.
Janice

gardengerald

master brummie
Hello Janice
The missing link is the daughter Violet who I believe from what I have been told became a Violet Pretty when she married.
Everyone has tried very hard so perhaps the time as come to close this thread and me to retire. I thank you Janice for your time and hard work. Tracing my biological fathers family back 150 years was quite easy.
Bye Bye... Gerald
Garden Gerald

pjmburns

master brummie
If she did become Violet Pretty then she could not have been the Violet Pretty who became Anne Heywood as she was born as Violet Pretty wasn't she?
I have enjoyed the challenge. It is often easier further ago as there are more records on line.
Janice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gerald , I have done the identical research into you family as Janice did and all my findings are the same as I knew they would be , she is a talented researcher.
The reason you had not heard of Ronald was because his death was recorded in the same quarter of 1920 that he was born.
As for your comments on post 10 and 14 about reinstating the Barnett posts on the Violet Pretty site, this would be inappropriate as the poster is asking for facts and as you say 'her family tree is of more importance' and as yet no link has been found of the Barnetts to Violet Prettys' family tree.