• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barn Street Aston

Hi Astoness,
Thanks for your reply. The best I can trace is actually in what is digbeth, close to the dogs home. It also runs off Milk street. My Grandad lived in Barn Street and married a girl from milk street. Almost neighbours, I guess.
These address get confusing as they seem to be often miss spelt and the districts change

Attachments

• Barn Street, Digbeth 1934.jpg
    Barn Street, Digbeth 1934.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 32
I am looking for help please. One of my ancestors Carey Burton (1802-1878) was a shopkeeper at 45 Barn Street, Birmingham from at least 1841 until her death in 1878. She never married, nor did her sister Jemima Burton (b1808) who lived with her and presumably worked in the shop with her. This is not specifically a genealogy enquiry because I already know quite a lot about the family although anything related would be a bonus. Their father was Joseph Burton (1768-1841), a metal button turner originally of Cook St, St Phillip's, but latterly of Barn Street. Nor is this a request to check trade directories because I have already done that and she appears in many. My hope is that somebody will be able to put some "flesh on the bones". For example shopkeeper, but what type? Any old photographs of 45 Barn Street? I have looked it upon Google maps and it now looks like typical east Birmingham "light industrial" use

This may of be some help. On her death the shop is described as a provision shop. These small local shops were common at this time, and indeed up till just after WW2

Birm post. 23.3.1878.jpgBirm post. 29.1.1878.jpg

I am looking for help please. One of my ancestors Carey Burton (1802-1878) was a shopkeeper at 45 Barn Street, Birmingham from at least 1841 until her death in 1878. She never married, nor did her sister Jemima Burton (b1808) who lived with her and presumably worked in the shop with her. This is not specifically a genealogy enquiry because I already know quite a lot about the family although anything related would be a bonus. Their father was Joseph Burton (1768-1841), a metal button turner originally of Cook St, St Phillip's, but latterly of Barn Street. Nor is this a request to check trade directories because I have already done that and she appears in many. My hope is that somebody will be able to put some "flesh on the bones". For example shopkeeper, but what type? Any old photographs of 45 Barn Street? I have looked it upon Google maps and it now looks like typical east Birmingham "light industrial" use

Hi I am trying to find the location of Little Barn Street in Birmingham.
Any help would be appreciated

Can't find a Little Barn St. Found a Little Ann Street that has a junction with Barn St.

The record is from a burial in the chapelry of st Mary Birmingham and it definitely has her address as Little followed by what really looks like barn street.

It ran between Great Barr St & Watery Lane in Bordesley. Not very close to St Mary's but that doesn't mean much.

This may of be some help. On her death the shop is described as a provision shop. These small local shops were common at this time, and indeed up till just after WW2

View attachment 153381View attachment 153382
Hi Mikjee (or anybody else who may be able to help).

From the excellent information you provided I can now speculate that the "provision shop" at 45 Barn Street, Deritend was probably started by Carey Burton's father, Joseph Burton in about 1835 (based upon the "carried on for 43 years"). He had previously been a metal button turner but as he would be aged 67 in 1835 it could easily be that he just created the shop in the front room of his house to provide some income (or a job for his daughters?) The 1841 census names him as a "provisions dealer" of Barn Street and he died later in 1841 at Barn Street, which is presumably when his daughter Carey took over.

Do you have any information such as directory entries or newspaper article for Joseph Burton at 45 Barn Street please?

Jason

There were indeed many small shops started in front rooms. I can remember (not Birmingham) two in the street I was born in in the 1940s and 1950s
Joseph Burton is listed in Pigot's directory at 45 Barn St as a shopkeeper. Earlier Wrightson's directpries do not seem to include many smaller businesses and he is not mentioned in them.
After that:
From 1845 till 1876 Carey Burton ,shopkeeper is listed at no 45 Barn St.
In 1878 directory Teh occupant is Mrs Elizabeth Freeman, shopkeeper

There were indeed many small shops started in front rooms. I can remember (not Birmingham) two in the street I was born in in the 1940s and 1950s
Joseph Burton is listed in Pigot's directory at 45 Barn St as a shopkeeper. Earlier Wrightson's directpries do not seem to include many smaller businesses and he is not mentioned in them.
After that:
From 1845 till 1876 Carey Burton ,shopkeeper is listed at no 45 Barn St.
In 1878 directory Teh occupant is Mrs Elizabeth Freeman, shopkeeper
Mikejee,

Thank you very much. Sorry to be pedantic, but what year is the Piggot's directory entry for Joseph Burton?

Jason

Sorry. the Pigot directory was 1841. However this was the publication date and we cannot be sure when the survey was conducted. It would probably have been the year before.

Back