• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barn Street Aston

Can see it now Phil, but am not sur eif it was I that originally posted it. i seem to remember that I looked for and identified the Francis shop after someone else posted it . Or it might be me getting a bit senile.
Mike

Thanks to every one who contributed to this thread, it's great to know so many indivduals join in and are able to help.
I will save the photos with my family tree-history.
Best wishes to all.

I have just seen the photo from the link from Colin.
I noticed the ducts/ shoots which appear on the fronts of the buildings. As a architect-surveyor I have studied buildings, and refurbished many from the 1900's but I haven't see this arrangement before. There seems to be a door at the bottom persummably for emptying something, perhaps ashes from the fire ?
Has any one got any other ideas ?

Hi Graham

Although it doesn't say so in the post, the houses in that photo were actually flats. So I was just wondering as they seem to terminate on a balcony if they were rubbish chutes.

Phil

Its great to see the pictures of Milk Street, looking at the old street map I have its taken looking down Milk st and whoever is taking the picture is standing in Barn St ?? I had family living in Barn St Court 9 Burbage/Jewkes any info on the type of houses or family members would be great =)
Cheers Simon (Burbage)

in 1911 at 4 barn street.

william burbage 34 fitters labourer working at breedon and co. fazelely st. born bham
jane burbage 33 b.bham
elsie 10, william 8, george 6, beatrice 4, daniel 1.

For Simon
1911 at 4 Barn Street,
BURBAGE, William Head aged 34 born 1877 Birmingham,Fitters Labourer
BURBAGE, Jane Wife aged 33 born 1878 Birmingham
BURBAGE, Elsie Daughter aged 10 born 1901 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, William Son aged 8 born 1903 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, George Son aged 6 born 1905 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, Beatrice Daughter aged 4 born 1907 Birmingham
BURBAGE, Daniel Son aged 1 born 1910
Married 10 years (Jane Jukes married William Burbage Jun 1900)
House consisted of 3 rooms not counting scullery.Number 42 consisted of 4 rooms.
1912,1920,1922 at 42 Barn Street
William and Jane Burbage
1925 at 42 Barn Street,just Jane Burbage
1930 at 42 Barn Street
William,Jane,George and Beatrice May Burbage
1935 at 42 Barn Street
William,George and Daniel Burbage
1939 at 42 Barn Street
Arthur John Burbage

(In 1918 at 6 court 3 Liverpool Street
Daniel Burbage (M305062, M.T., A.S.C.)
1920,1922,1925,1930,1935 at 6 court 3 Liverpool Street
Daniel and Emma Burbage)
JUKES, George Head aged 57 born 1854 Bham Warwickshire,Unemployed
JUKES, Elizabeth Wife aged 55 1856 born Manchester Lancashire,Pen Worker at Perrys And Co
JUKES, Henry Son aged 34 born 1877 Bham Warwickshire,Cycle Worker
JUKES, Robert Son aged 22 born 1889 Bham Warwickshire,Cycle Worker
JUKES, Elizabeth Daughter aged 20 born 1891 Bham Warwickshire,Brass Worker
JUKES, William Son aged 17 born 1894 Bham Warwickshire,Labourer
JUKES, Emily Daughter aged 15 born 1896 Bham Warwickshire,Press Worker
JUKES, Arthur Son aged 14 born 1897 Bham Warwickshire,Errand Boy
Married 36 years Address: 1 Bk 3 Barn Street (4 rooms)

1901 9 Court,44 Barn Street Birmingham
Burbridge William 24 Head born Birmingham, Brass Fitter
Burbridge Jane 23 Wife born Birmingham,Screw Turner
Burbridge Elsie 8 born Birmingham
Jukes Henry 24 Boarder born Birmingham, Iron Filer
9 Court,44 Barn Street Birmingham
Burbridge William 52 Head born St George Street,Birmingham,Edge Tool Maker
Burbridge Sarah 21 Wife born Barn Street, Birmingham,Housekeeper
Burbridge Daniel 14 born Summer Lane,Birmingham,Carter
Jukes George 47 Head born Birmingham,Box Fitter
Jukes Elizabeth 45 Wife born Manchester, Lancashire
Jukes Robert 12 born Birmingham,
Jukes Elizabeth 10 born Birmingham,
Jukes William 7 born Birmingham
Jukes Emily 5 born Birmingham,
Jukes Arthur 4 born Birmingham,
Jukes Beatrice 1 born Birmingham,
7 court, 43 Barn Street, Birmingham

For Simon
1911 at 4 Barn Street,
BURBAGE, William Head aged 34 born 1877 Birmingham,Fitters Labourer
BURBAGE, Jane Wife aged 33 born 1878 Birmingham
BURBAGE, Elsie Daughter aged 10 born 1901 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, William Son aged 8 born 1903 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, George Son aged 6 born 1905 School Birmingham
BURBAGE, Beatrice Daughter aged 4 born 1907 Birmingham
BURBAGE, Daniel Son aged 1 born 1910
Married 10 years (Jane Jukes married William Burbage Jun 1900)
House consisted of 3 rooms not counting scullery.Number 42 consisted of 4 rooms.
1912,1920,1922 at 42 Barn Street
William and Jane Burbage
1925 at 42 Barn Street,just Jane Burbage
1930 at 42 Barn Street
William,Jane,George and Beatrice May Burbage
1935 at 42 Barn Street
William,George and Daniel Burbage
1939 at 42 Barn Street
Arthur John Burbage

(In 1918 at 6 court 3 Liverpool Street
Daniel Burbage (M305062, M.T., A.S.C.)
1920,1922,1925,1930,1935 at 6 court 3 Liverpool Street
Daniel and Emma Burbage)
JUKES, George Head aged 57 born 1854 Bham Warwickshire,Unemployed
JUKES, Elizabeth Wife aged 55 1856 born Manchester Lancashire,Pen Worker at Perrys And Co
JUKES, Henry Son aged 34 born 1877 Bham Warwickshire,Cycle Worker
JUKES, Robert Son aged 22 born 1889 Bham Warwickshire,Cycle Worker
JUKES, Elizabeth Daughter aged 20 born 1891 Bham Warwickshire,Brass Worker
JUKES, William Son aged 17 born 1894 Bham Warwickshire,Labourer
JUKES, Emily Daughter aged 15 born 1896 Bham Warwickshire,Press Worker
JUKES, Arthur Son aged 14 born 1897 Bham Warwickshire,Errand Boy
Married 36 years Address: 1 Bk 3 Barn Street (4 rooms)
Lady Linda, I don't know where you get your fantastic information from but could you possibly find my great grandfather Joseph Savage who was living with his new wife Maria Sweet at 1 Court, 2 House, Barn Street, in 1902? I would be so grateful xxx:love_heart:

The information came from the census. these are only held every 10 years, so there was one in 1901 and another in 1911. He is not in 1911 living at the same house as you quote for 1902, and I have not found him by a simple search. Possibly his name has been corrupted while being abstracted, thus hindering the search.

someone on ancestry has the same family tree and they have - maria savage died in 1904. in 1911 joseph savage was living with one of his daughters and her husband phillip tunnicliffe 24, mary ann tunnicliffe 24, joseph savage (father) 48 widowed general dealer., and albert savage 9.
they were living 2a coleman st. aston.

following on, the family tree has info that joseph savage died 13 oct 1920 and had continued to live with his daughter and son-in-law, phillip and mary ann tunnicliffe at 5 may place, forster street, duddeston, nechells, bham. he was listed as a chemical manufacturers carter.

Joseph Savage is on 1871 census in Coleman Street.

no 7 Coleman Street
John Savage age 39 b Ireland
Arrabella age 30 b Ireland
John 11 b Ireland
Luke 9 b Ireland
James 6 b Ireland
Joseph 5 b. Birmingham
living with them is Johns widowed sister
Bridget Golding age 35 b Galway Ireland
all her children born Birmingham
Mary 5.Catherine 3,Julia 2,Thomas 6 months.

Joseph married Mary ann Turner in 1886 and she died in 1901 he then married Maria Sweet.
He is living with his daughter by Mary Ann turner in 1911.

Thankyou for that Shera, that is probably my tree you were looking at. I couldn't find Maria in 1901 but my great grandfather Joseph was still with my grandmother who died the same year. I just can't find Maria anywhere before 02. x

Thank you for taking the trouble Mike. I just haven't been able to place Maria anywhere before 1902. xx

There is a maria sweet on the 1891 census living as a lodger with william and emily newman at 3 oxford place inkerman st, occ. press worker.

It's cool to find this thread. My ancestors Joseph Chapman and Ann Higgins(Chapman) were both born in Sheffield but the 1841 census has them living on Barn Street with their four daughters (they also had one son who was born in Birmingham after the census). Joseph was an Anvil Smith (a maker of anvils). The 1851 census and all subsequent censuses shows the family back in Sheffield without any of the 4 daughters. It's just possible that the oldest daughter is living elsewhere either married or as a servant but I'm assuming that at least 3 of the girls died. I'm wondering:
a) What might have killed off the children? Could it have been connected to any particular type of manufacturing that dominated this area at that time?
b) I don't know, but I'm assuming they could have got from Birmingham to Sheffield in the 1840s by train but how would the family have got from Sheffield to Birmingham in the late 1830s? How long would it have taken? It seems like a huge journey in pre-train days.

(The couple had several kids on retun to Sheffield, most of whom seem to have survived into adulthood)

Memebers of my family during 1850 - 1890, lived in various house in Barn Street and what would haved been the back-back houses listed in census records as courts.
I'm trying to find any old photographs of the the road or courts, can anyone help.

Attachments

• Barn Street, Digbeth 1934.jpg
    Barn Street, Digbeth 1934.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 27
Back