• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barmy Dog.......!

cresser

master brummie
Hi all,

I am looking after a friends 3 year old German Shepherd dog (Shep), he is a wonderful dog, friendly, playful (VERY playful!), and has not been aggressive to any other animal, or person. I have had G.S myself before and know how good they can be, anyway, today I have seen something I have never seen before with any of my dogs. I bought this fella a yellow rubbery rugby ball for him and he loves it, he never lets it out of his sight and will not let me have it unless HE wants me to have it - to throw. Anyway, today I put him a bowl of food down and he sets to eating, he then stops eating and picks up this ball (its only about 4" long), and puts it in the middle of his food - and eats around it !!!!!! When the only food left is the bit under this ball, he picks it up and moves it to another part of his bowl, and then finishes off before trotting off without a word of thanks!!! Barmy.:confused:

Don't you just love dogs, they give everything and ask nothing in return.....

Hi postie,
Yep your right, and thats why they can often wind us round their little paw. This same dog has decided he will not put up with pidgeons in his garden, and runs barking at them, when he has his beloved rugby ball in his mouth he won`t drop it, he just runs at them shaking his head and growling. Barmy dog!!!

Hi postie,
Yep your right, and thats why they can often wind us round their little paw. This same dog has decided he will not put up with pidgeons in his garden, and runs barking at them, when he has his beloved rugby ball in his mouth he won`t drop it, he just runs at them shaking his head and growling. Barmy dog!!!

When I did my Dog Handler course, at Melton Mowbray, we told that the German Shepherd had the intelligence of a 5 - year old child. Perhaps not so barmy after all Cresser !

Hi maypolebaz,
Your right of course, I often think we do not give them credit for the intelligence they do undoubtedly have. In my case they sure as heck know a soft touch when they see one!!!!

Hi maypolebaz,
You are right of course, I often think we do not give them credit for the intelligence they do undoubtedly have. In my case they sure as heck know a soft touch when they see one!!!!
Hi Cresser.
How I envy you. I would love another dog but age and other circumstances prohibit me from getting one. The main reason that I would not be able to give him/her the exercise that they need and deserve
Old Boy

Hi Old Boy,
I do know exactly how you feel. I lost my last dog more than 10 years ago, and because I was at work and no-one would be there to look after another, I have left it alone, although, like you, I would love another. Having said that, since having my mates dog for at least a week and a half, I realise I had forgotten just how much hard work they can be, especially a young one like this fella is. It really does take it out of you. The upside to it though, is being able to see how much they are enjoying themselves when out and able to have a good run about, oh, and the welcome they give you when you come home is worth all of it.

We often talk about whether we should have another dog and always end up deciding not to. The thing is, we had a Westie who died at 17 and a little Cairn who died at 15, after that amount of time losing a dog leaves a big hole in your life and we really don't want that sadness again.

Hi Maypolebaz,
I know what you mean. Years ago we had a G/S from a pup and we were fortunate enough to have his company for 13 years. After that we had a Staffie for about 2 months - he was found as a stray in our neighbourhood, but the original owners were found so he went back to them, then we bought a Collie/G.S. cross bitch from B`ham dogs home, never knew exactly how old she was but shortly after we had her, she had 13 pups in our house!! 4 did not survive but the last one to go, another bitch, we kept. The mother - Lass- we had for some years and the pup we had for another 13 years. I photograph all the dogs we have had and now and again I upset myself by looking through the albums. Loved them all.
By the way, I walked the G.S. I`m looking after down to the local pet store while I was in the area, and he strolled in as if he owned the place and the girls working there all came gave him a lovely fuss plus a couple of treats. Meaning that, when I come back I`m coming as a dog because you can get away with murder and virtually always get the girls !!!!!!:rolleyes: Cheers, cresser.

Meaning that, when I come back I`m coming as a dog because you can get away with murder and virtually always get the girls !!!!!!:rolleyes:
Having watched the antics of our dogs, the handlers in my section used to say the same thing Cresser, only their language was more basic !

Shep13-HighburyPk-Copy2.jpg After trying for ages to do this, I can now put a picture of the troublesome little fella I am trying to look after!! `orrible aint he?

Back