• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barley Mow Mere Green, Sutton Coldfield.

stevencath11

master brummie
Hi there,
Just wanted to know if anyone has any old photos of the Barley Mow in Mere Green (now called Barleys I think) or Sportsman Inn in Lozells which has been since knocked down as my family ran both pubs between 1881 - 1911 from Census records but I have not got any photos myself.
Thanks Cath

I found this photo the other day and remember someone asking on the forum if anyone had one but I can't find the original post. Anyway here is a picture with The Barley Mow in the background.

Barley_Mow_Mere_Green.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Jean, I lived in Mere Green after we left Aston. You want to see what they've done to it now. Regards,David.

That's a lovely picture, Wendy, I was there only yesterday looking in the St.Giles Hospice shop which is as you will know on the right of this picture. Oh how it has changed, wish they would get on and do something about it. There really is only Sainsburys there now and of course Wetherspoons, where we have our fish and chips on a Friday. Even the Barley Mow isn't the Barley Mow any more. This picture definitley deserves a frame.

I agree Katie I don't know why they are dragging their feet it just spoils a lovely area. I spent many hours in Mere Green as a teenager in the local cafe. Then worked there for a while. Many happy memories.

Hi Wendy
Thanks so much for the photo of the Barley Mow, it was me who posted the request my ancestors ran the pub from about 1891 - 1920.
Any idea on the date of the photo ?
Thanks again
Cath

Cath, I think the photo is about 1900.

Morturn wasn't it awful when they painted it black! It was as bad inside as well!!

Don't worry David I am a past master at mistakes...I blame my age...ha ha.

Now an Italian restaurant.

suttoncoldfield_barleymow.jpg

Back