• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barker Street off The Lozells Rd.

J

June Moorby

Hi, ;D

Any one remembers Barket St ?

My Nan and Grandad used to live at number 74 Called Harbon.
Its a small world as when I moved to Wigston the lady who lived next door but one used to live at number 73.
I remember sitting on grans step and eating bread and treacle. Also the fish
and chip shop just above where you could buy a bag of scratchins for a penny.
My grandad was a keen gardener and blow me down if one weed came up
he would be on it like s shot.

All for now
Tat Tar June. :crazy2:

I worked at Wolf Electric Tools at the bottom of Barker street, for four years in the early '60s. I remember that at the top near Villa Cross was Cowdrill's shop. They sold bycycles and radios. You will find some pictures of Barker Street here: https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/old_bham
You may have to search a bit to find them but there are several there

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for the web site. I have had a look and
found it very interesting.
I even found a house in John St where my uncle used to live.
Cowdrill's I saved up very hard when I was younger to buy my self
a bike from there. The cost was £17. 17. 6d. and for that it even had 17 gears. Very posh in them days.

I used to also work in the lower part of Villa Street but this was in
1954/56

Thanks again   June. ;)

When I started work for the "Post Office Telephones" in 1956, I too bought a bike from Cowdrills in Barker St. We lived in Wellesley St at the time, and I cycled to work at Witton Barracks in Witton Rd where our depot was. I was a jointers mate at the time, the jointers name was Jack Smith, he was an ex Royal Navy bloke. Happy days. :)

There used to be a shop which was I think I remember correctly next door to the hairdressers, that my Aunt owned (sold childrens clothes and wool). I remember playing in the back garden there and eating gooseberries from the bushes that used to grow there. Had my hair cut at the hairdressers many a time as a nipper! If I remember correctly there was a fish and chip shop on the opposite side.

Back