• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

bargee wedding traditions.

Brummiebell

master brummie
Please does anyone know anything about the wedding traditions of the boatmen of the westmidlands. We have an old photo of a member of the family taken durring the first war in the back of a court house in Witton we believe and have identified the couple. However the photo is taken on a mat with a white parcel or handkercheif lieing on the ground before them. We always wondered why. Have since discovered that the family have links to boatmen going back a few generations so wondered if this may be what the item is. Are there any sites telling of boatmen weddings or any pictures, or did they have any different traditions. The brides greatgrandfather was a boatman and many of her uncles we have discovered although her immediate family were not on the canals. The groom was a medic and just going off to war in France.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Many thanks Maria

In a Jewish wedding the groom will stamp on a glass wrapped up in something (cloth) to stop the bits cutting anyone.

I also recall reading something about some gypsies will jump over an object on the ground to seal their wedding vows, but I have to admit to being a bit vague on the detail.

The church in the village of Braunston,Northamptonshire,was a favourite venue for boaty weddings.They probably keep their own records.Jumping over the broomstick is what you may be thinking of Morturn,it was a temporary marriage in remote places,and would suffice until a visiting clergyman arrived.

The church in the village of Braunston,Northamptonshire,was a favourite venue for boaty weddings.They probably keep their own records.Jumping over the broomstick is what you may be thinking of Morturn,it was a temporary marriage in remote places,and would suffice until a visiting clergyman arrived.

That custom appears to have travelled to America. Who remembers "Let's jump the broomstick" by Brenda Lee ?
I'm wandering off thread a bit here but back in the nineties we were taking a female patient to one of the Manchester hospitals. A big, powerful looking woman, she had a ferocious Brummie accent. When I commented on it she said "I ay a Brummie, I'm a Water Gipsy !". She'd grown up on the canals, it was fascinating to talk to her.

I'm from Braunston and the church is often called the cathedral of the canals. The handkerchief or scarf was probably due to hand fasting which was a form of canal boat wedding. The hands of the bride and groom were tied together with the scarf. This has celtic roots. Also I have heard of leaping the bargepole which I should imagine is the same as leaping the broomstick and also leaping the sword. Leap rogue jump whore be you married forever more

Back