• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barford Street

D

d38uh32

Does anyone remember a grocery shop run by a lady called Lil Hanks in the early 1960's. It was either in Barford Street or a road close by that had a public house on the corner of the road. There were back houses in the same road as the shop. Sorry this is a bit vague but I remember all this from being a child who visited Lil Hanks.

There was a coal merchant who lived close by called Nealy.

Any information would be good.

Thanks, NESS

There was a coal merchants named W. Neale at 242 Barford Street in the 1966 Kelly's Directory

Thanks for the info, the Neale family used to deliver our coal when we lived in Bordesley Green.
They were friends of my dad who'd lived in both William Edward Street and Barford Street before he was married.

Ness is the Barford street in Nechells or is that Barford road?. My friend who is on the Ted Rudge site has been looking for links. Chears. Jean.

Barford street was classed as Deritend, it's behind Digbeth Coach Station.

In 1956 there was a Mrs Lily Hanks, greengrocer at 213 bissel st. No mention in 1964
mike

According to the electoral roll, in 1939 Lily Hanks and Thomas Francis Hanks were at house 3 court 23 (which was between 109 and 113) Bissell Street.

Thank you all for your information, Lily Hanks was related to me. Could you please look at the electrol roll in 1939 for Barford Street to see if there were any Turners living in Barford Street or surrounding streets.

I'm sorry if I sound cheeky but I'm desperate for info.

Thanks,

Ness

Thanks Lloyd,
I'm certain that you have just found my grandfather and his second wife. I have been searching for nearly three years but instead of working back from what I remember as a child I've been trying to fill the gaps from 1909 when my dad was born.

Bless you, Ness

I worked at Artistic Limited in Barford St just of Gooch St from 1965 to 1969 as a young bookbinders tablehand, my first real job.

I worked in Barford Street for a couple of years, too, at a small coach company (Paul Tizard Coaches) c1971. Their 'depot' (an open yard with a couple of small sheds) is now built over, and was next door but one to the "Lamp Tavern", which I believe was the smallest pub in Birmingham. I don't think there were any houses left in the street then, just industrial premises and yards.

hi Lloyd i wonder can you tell me if there was more than one barford street as sifting through my old evening mail papers i have just come accross a pic of this street but the caption says it was demolished in 1905...

thanks..
lyn:)

I think there was only one (in the smaller Birmingham pre the c 1911 boundary extensions) and in the time I knew it (and it hasn't changed that much since) it was all light industrial units, the housing that originally stood there having long gone - I could believe that some had gone in 1905, the rest in the years up to the war. I thought it strange when I worked in that area that a school and a few pubs, older than the industrial buildings, were dotted amongst the industrial units and yards in Barford street and nearby roads.

Lloyd...thank you...i just wanted to be sure that the caption was right...will put the picture of barford st on the old evening mail pics thread later on....

Lynn
The directory of 1908 does show a reduction in the number of buildings listed from those in 1900 from 68 to 45, a lot of those going being on the Cheapside end on the north west side.
mike

hi mike...looking at the folk in the pic i have i would say by the dress it was taken late 1800s.. early 1900s we may have a clue though...there is a pub boarded up and above it it says...the city brewery mild pale ales...but no name to the pub...i wonder if someone can do a kellys 1900 look up to see how many pubs there were in barford st.....i cant put the pic on till later as my son has to resize them for me to post on the forum...

Lyn
Have checked licensed premises in the street and list them below. Also attach map c 1913. I think you have to consider all licensed premises as possibilities as "beer retailer " can be pub of off licence. This is shown by extra entry which is listed in kellys under Macdonald st as beer retailer on corner of barford st, but is marked PH on map. The position of the Kings Arms, Queens Arms and other one on corner are marked on map. Vulcan isn't

Licensed establishments , Barford St 1900

NW Side
3,5 Kings Arms
Moseley St
51 Beer retailer
79,81 The Vulcan
109 Beer retailer
157 Beer retailer
Macdonald St
Corner of macdonald st (listed as 24 Macdonald st Arthur Edwin Lord, beer retailer, but marked on map as PH)

SE side
Moseley St
Macdonald St
160 Queen’s Arms(corner)
194 Beer retailer
228 Beer retailer
238 Beer retailer

I worked in Barford St. for a short time at JAMES UPTON printers, we used to use the Queens Arms lunchtime it was run by a stout lady(name I can't remember).
My mate Dave used to fetch the crates of beer from the cellar, and she used to give him a sherry with an egg in it.

nic memories john..heres the pic i have of barford st...

lyn
Replacement Photo

Barford Street.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Corporation bus garage in Barford Street, opened in 1925. It was 'converted from a factory' - I can't see them using a very old one, so if the building dated from the 1905 demolition era or slightly later, that would seem right. The property is now the 'Express Polythene co.' or similar, and is at the Pershore Street end of the road.

The Lamp Tavern, Macdonald Street end.
Replacement Photo

lamp tavern , barford st.jpg

Also attach map c 1913.
I understand from 1901 to 1952 there was a Salvation Army hall at 234 Barford Street (between Gooch Street and Macdonald Street) - can you pinpoint this on a map for me? Could it be the large building apart halfway from Macdonald Street to Gooch Street? Also is there any picture of this church?

Does anyone remember a grocery shop run by a lady called Lil Hanks in the early 1960's. It was either in Barford Street or a road close by that had a public house on the corner of the road. There were back houses in the same road as the shop. Sorry this is a bit vague but I remember all this from being a child who visited Lil Hanks.

There was a coal merchant who lived close by called Nealy.

Any information would be good.

Thanks, NESS
I was born at 4/37 Barford Street in 1948. I remember the shop run by Lil - think it was a fruit and veg shop.Also remember the pub on the corner called The Vulcan.

Does anyone know what 84 Barford St used to be back in the day? Guessing it was a factory? What did it make? Can’t find anything online. Love this forum. So interesting!

I was born at 4/37 Barford Street in 1948. I remember the shop run by Lil - think it was a fruit and veg shop.Also remember the pub on the corner called The Vulcan.
Can you recall what they made at the factory at 84 Barford St? What was Barford St like to live on?

In the 1940 Kellys no 84 is listed as W. Lander & sons, wire workers. In a 1990 advert the firm is described as manufacturing original automotive components

Back