• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Barford Street, Digbeth

Harbornite76

master brummie
Hi, does anyone have any memories of Barford Street in Digbeth before the back to back houses were demolished in the late 1960's? Some of my relatives lived they until they were re-housed. Barford Street is still there, although it is mainly industrial warehouses now, however a couple of pubs remain. Thanks.

Hi, does anyone have any memories of Barford Street in Digbeth before the back to back houses were demolished in the late 1960's? Some of my relatives lived they until they were re-housed. Barford Street is still there, although it is mainly industrial warehouses now, however a couple of pubs remain. Thanks.

Hi, I remember Barford St. Used to visit my grandad. It was a back to back house. There was a wash house just by the entrance. My most vivid memory is of the enormous fireplace. It had velvet drapes across the top. The kettle used to be boiled on the fire. Sometimes we went by tram, which was exciting for a 3yr old.

Sometime over the next few years the area will have another makeover the area around Barford St is set to become the new Wholesale Market

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for sharing. I was surprised to see some pubs were still standing when I viewed the Street on Google earth.

Harbornite,

A few photos of Barford Street before it was demolished, three of the street itself and one of a back court.

Attachments

• Highgate  Barford St.jpg
    Highgate Barford St.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Highgate Barford St 1959.jpg
    Highgate Barford St 1959.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Highgate Barford Street[1].jpg
    Highgate Barford Street[1].jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 117
Harbornite,

A few photos of Barford Street before it was demolished, three of the street itself and one of a back court.

Cheers, te last picture looks familiar but I haven''t seen the other 3 before, they're wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Harbornite,

Cheers, the last picture looks familiar but I haven''t seen the other 3 before, they're wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Just out of interest, is the large building in the background of the second image a sawmill?

Harbornite,

Sorry but checking on the old maps it looks as if this photo of 5 court might not be in Barford St at all. If you look at this old map you will see it doesn't bear much resemblance at all. Another case of a mislabelled photo I think, and on checking its more likely to be 5 Court Bradford Street and the large building would be the Deritend Foundry. Accordingly I will remove the photo as it is in error, were you looking for a timber yard in Bishop Street as there was one at numbers 104 to 116 by the name of Alfred Patterson Ltd in the 50's.

Attachments

• Court 5 Barford St.jpg
    Court 5 Barford St.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
Harbornite,

Sorry but checking on the old maps it looks as if this photo of 5 court might not be in Barford St at all. If you look at this old map you will see it doesn't bear much resemblance at all. Another case of a mislabelled photo I think, and on checking its more likely to be 5 Court Bradford Street and the large building would be the Deritend Foundry. Accordingly I will remove the photo as it is in error, were you looking for a timber yard in Bishop Street as there was one at numbers 104 to 116 by the name of Alfred Patterson Ltd in the 50's.

I see, thanks for the update. I'm not sure about the exact location of the timber yard, but that does sound correct.

8 more of barford st...

lyn

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 035.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 035.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 75
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 036.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 036.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 74
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 037.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 037.JPG
    641.6 KB · Views: 69
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 038.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 038.JPG
    618.5 KB · Views: 71
next 4

Attachments

• RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 039.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 039.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 63
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 040.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 040.JPG
    534.9 KB · Views: 61
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 041.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 041.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 67
  • RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 042.JPG
    RIF CRS..AST HALL RD..BARF ST 042.JPG
    493.3 KB · Views: 64
Hi. Here is a picture of my Nan outside her workplace and you can see a view up Barford Street - very similar to the picture you shared. My uncle reckons Nan worked at Lander, but the factory she is outside (which is behind them in the picture) has square windows and metal grating outside - it looks different to the Lander building. might you have any Idas what the factory might be? Or pictures of Barford street that show that building?

Attachments

• Nan-factory-van copy.jpeg
    Nan-factory-van copy.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Nan-outside-factory copy.jpeg
    Nan-outside-factory copy.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 24
Hi, I lived there with my Mum, Dad, brother and two sisters, we moved to Stechford when I was 5. I am 62. My Irish parents, Tess and Fred Phelan, from Dublin. I remember the toilet at the back courtyard and the cobbled street where I used to play with the kids. I have some old photos I could post another time, I have just joined. My Mum didnt like the new house, area, with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, she was happier in the back to back house! My older Sis may have more memories, my brother sadly passed away and Mum and Dad died in their late 80s. I remember Dad going along to the pub along the road, and sometimes Mum. Dad was a tailor and he worked from home sometimes in that one room, sewing, ironing etc. with his old Singer machine and heavy iron.

Hi, I lived there with my Mum, Dad, brother and two sisters, we moved to Stechford when I was 5. I am 62. My Irish parents, Tess and Fred Phelan, from Dublin. I remember the toilet at the back courtyard and the cobbled street where I used to play with the kids. I have some old photos I could post another time, I have just joined. My Mum didnt like the new house, area, with 3 bedrooms and a bathroom, she was happier in the back to back house! My older Sis may have more memories, my brother sadly passed away and Mum and Dad died in their late 80s. I remember Dad going along to the pub along the road, and sometimes Mum. Dad was a tailor and he worked from home sometimes in that one room, sewing, ironing etc. with his old Singer machine and heavy iron.
I live in Scotland but my two sisters live in Harborne and Shirley. I will visit the museum/back to back house next I am in Birmingham.

what wonderful memories you have shared carolmac...when you have time we would love to see any old photos you have..thanks ever so much..enjoy the forum

lyn

Back