• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barford Road Club Winson Green

mebmm1950

master brummie
Is this club still going etc .Used to go there with granddad and uncle in the 50s and 60s .Went on many of the trips to the seaside and pantomines etc .Is anyone a member etc .Would you know if they would have records of members from the past and any old photos .I have a couple of my grandad playing snooker .To see all the men wearing trilbys a real eye opener .Smarter than most of us today

HI ARKRITE
How are you keeping fine hope ? .
yes the club is still there and still ticking over ;but not in the capicity as your grand fathers days
in the early years of its grand days it was the barfod rd club [ members only ]
and it was in pristine conditions inside and it was a very lartge house in those days
then come the sixtyies it changed it name to the amatures garden club ; of barford rd
for years then come the late sixties early seventys it changed its name back to the barford rd club and they demolished the hous ;and now its as you see it in a form of premab dezign building
and to me it does not look any bigger inside as it did then in your grand fathers days
it was larger then ; the right hand side of the picture of the street view at the top of the building
on the very top is the living quarters for the club steward which is a very poor accomodation
made of ply wood and skimmed plaster and very cold and damp and draughy
and how do i know because i was offered that job to run it because of my expereince in the trade
the reason i did not take it as well all the punters [ customers ] whom was born and brought up in he green area i knew them all as i went through th club house top to bottom and checked there accounts
and barreledge meaning there drinking cappcity .
but on the merit i me knowing every member in that club in all the rooms i seen ;
i knew being one of them from the area and knowing them personaly they would expect a lock in
and i never do that ; so i declined but yes today the club is still going fine but not to full capicity as your grand fathers days ; my older broher was a member there around your grand fathers day ;
best wishes arkrite and take care ,
ps , arkrite did you ever live on ickneild port rd ; astonion ;;

Hi Astonian. I just added the picture for MebMM1950 who made the enquiry . You know what I am like for nosing around in the threads and trying to help out. I have had a couple of good results in finding information for members this weekend. It helps to pass the time and makes me feel useful.
Sorry but I have never lived in Birmingham. The closest I got was my place of birth at Walsall. Tough I know but some one has to be born there.

Thanks for the inside information on the club.I must say it gives the imppression of everything you have said. Sad and a bit rundown.
Keep Well Astonian, thank you for your thoughts and no doubt we will trip over each other again soon...best regards......Arkrite

Have just been on to my friend Sandra from the Harbour and she has given me this information about the club and people she remembers. She remembers Mr and Mrs Birkenshaw who ran the club and the days out from the club. She is Sandra George who lived at No 30 Barford road in Bertha buildings opposite Brandon Passage. Her parents were Louis and Minnie George and had four girls and one boy. The Barnses also lived in Barford road and I am in touch with Lizzie who married into the family. Hope this jogs your memory mebmm1950?. Jean.

I have been to the Barford road Club twice in the last 12-months after a funeral service. Also i think people past and present around Winson Green use it for get-togethers for different reasons. As far as i know it is quiet to how it was years ago ,but i am sure it still ticks over with the private functions .

Lizzy it seams that Barford road was a very friendly road from what Sandra told me today. Holte road was too even though we didn't have a club only one for adults no kids allowed. Jean.

Yes it was. i think social clubs are very good for communitys as they bring people together . They seem to be dying off now as people do-not use them as much, but we have had good family nights and some-times it is good if you can bring the children.

Great Lizzy we had Ansells sports and social where children were welcome. Did the Barford road club have gardens?. Jean.

I had a look on Google Earth for some of the social clubs I could remember from the Walsall area. Many have now gone with fast food places or "Tesco" type mini shops replacing them. I think that they hit the same sort of problems that affected pubs.

Great Lizzy we had Ansells sports and social where children were welcome. Did the Barford road club have gardens?. Jean.
hi jean just browsing the forum i live around the corner from the club mentioned it never had any gardens its open mainily for weddings and corporate functions theyhave auctions there on a monday evening i dont think its doing as well as it used to do the burkinshaws are neighbours of mine and lizzy is a good friend of the famly its a small world we live in really i have lived this side of ladywood all my life and seen many changes the club was also known as the rotton park gardeners club but i think when he old club was demolished around 1979 1980 and was rebuilt a few yards up it then bbecame the barford road social club

HI KATY;
I presume you are on about keith ; ?. it seems alot of the old tribe ; [ meaning the old familys
are still in the area ;and they have not moved away ; thats nice to know about that
if am right in saying ; give my regards to keith
have a nice day ; besy wishes astonion ;

i will certainly give keith your regards my friend he lives right facing me but the prolem i have who do i say you are what does he know you as you can private message me if you wish because im sure i know you myself but your identity is a mystery ha ha captain scarlet have a nice day xx

Katy I have spent quite a bit of time with Sandra over the last three days and I wonder if you know he?. Her sister is married to Lizzie's husbands brother. If you wish to message me with your full name I will get in touch with Sandra. Jean.

Katy I will empty some of my inbox. Sorry. Yes Sandra runs the Harbour Inn at Arley and is handing it over to her son shortly but is looking for a house close by. Jean.

hi jean know her very well in deed and she is a good friend like lizzie to my older sistere bernie and teresa will inbox you my details later xx

Back