• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barbers tea

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Spotted this on a shop wall By Witton Island over the road from the Cap and Gown pub. Barbers Tea, I can't believe it's been there so long. may have been covered up by another poster?

Attachments

• manor rd.JPG
    manor rd.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there was an advert hoarding there until a year or so back. What happened to Barber's tea, anyway? And 'Little Miss Barber'?

Frothblower,

I was dragged up not far from Witton Island (or Witton Circle as it was always referred to, for unknown reasons) and I think if my memory serves correct that the premises to the right of the Barbers' sign was a cafe in years gone by.

Big Gee

Frothy,

Well spotted and thanks for posting. Makes me feel like going on a hunting trip, but unfortunately not in Brum!

Graham.

Frothy has the Cap and gown got another name now. I can't believe that I got off the eleven bus at least 4 times a week when my mom was alive and didn't notice the advert. Mind you I am only 5ft nothing. Bit high for me. Or maybe I walk around with my eyes closed. Jean.

I'm down that way 2morrow Frothy will take a look. Yes there was definitely a cafe on the corner.

Rob

Rob I remember a cafe run by a Greek gentleman a few years ago next to what used to be Buckleys newsagents. Would that be the one?. There used to be a pork butcher on the corner the same side of the road. Jean.

Great pork butcher ! Jeanee do you remember the corn shop shop on opposite corner ,sold seed and all that kind of stuff. had to pass it on the way to school .
rob

Jean and Rob,

Was Buckley's newsagent on Witton Circle? I thought it was further up Witton Road.

Big Gee

Oh I remember the Redgates but Mr Buckleys was opposite the co-op next to an electrical shop. My brother and Bobby B had newspaper rounds for both these shops. Will send Bob an IM. Loved the meat from that pork butchers and now I'm trying to remember his name. Jean. Oh the shop was Jolleys electricals. My brain has come to life for a while. Jean.

Big Gee Pete said it was the Witton Arms. Rob I remember the corn shop. They used to look after cats while the owners were on holiday and my moms cat escaped. He turned up back in Holte road a few weeks later. Jean.

Just had a thought. Is the corner cafe now an afro caribean hairdressers?. Have a look in the morning as you go by Rob. Maybe I'm getting my corners mixed up. Jean.

corners mixed up Jean. Correct Hair dressers now, Jean the corn shop was on opposite corner. ,think we are ok on that.
robb

Yes that's what I thought Rob. Can sleep tonight now. Do you remember the clothes shop next to the fish shop in Manor road?. A friend of my husband from Bewdley is still in touch with the couple who owned it. They are still going strong and must be in their eighties by now. Jean.

What happened to Barbers Teas?
I've seen Twinings Tea adverts with the "Little Miss Barber" logo. Did Twinings take Barbers over?

nice one froth.. i am sure there is another on a wall down aston lane... will have a look next time i am passing..

lyn

Talking about Aston lane [bit off topic] half way up on the right hand side from the Witton does anyone remember the two little birds in a show case that used to bend forward and backwards as if drinking out of a dish?. There used to lots of adverts over the shop that owned them. Jean.

Back