• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Banks/Bankes Rd, off Charles Rd Small Heath.

TimothyWF

proper brummie kid
A few weeks ago this forum very kindly pin pointed an address in Digbeth for me, showing me an 1890's map and a modern day map-for which I was very grateful. May I ask for another address? This time it is for 8 Banks/Bankes Rd, off Charles Rd. Small Heath Birmingham. I have No. 8 as this address from a Wedding Card and having Googled it, it appears as a rather small bungalow nowadays and looks to me to be a bit too modern. I wondered if in 1900 it was a bungalow or has that come new? Or possibly the road in this location had houses rather like the surrounding ones of today (?). I have read the previous thread on Banks road. Thank you.

Timothy
I may be wrong, but, looking at streetview, no 22 on Bankes Road is clear. Working back from that, no 8 should be the corner house on Marlborough Road (blue on 1905 map). From what is in Kellys Directories there does nor appear to have been any renumbering. the house looks about the right age to me. Bankes road seems to first appear just before 1900.
Mike

banks_road_c_1905_no_8.jpg

Thank you Mikejee for your reply. I use Bing photomaps as you can view the site at a slant and if I put in number 8 Bankes Rd the marker goes to the BM on your map. Your location seems to make more sense but why start the numbering at 8 instaed of 2, I wonder. I wish I knew the postman in the area, bet he would know !

I don't know exactly theorder of the building of the roads. the 1890 map shows no sign of any, and th e1905 is above, but the plot other side of ther junction with marlborough road, which is the side of the end house in Marlborough road, would probably be space enough for three terraced houses (nos 2,4 and 6), which might explain the numbering starting at 8
mike

Hello Mikjee, I have taken a tip from you and gone into Google Streetview and I can read the house numbers on the doors. Amazing. Number ten is the white door with a large number above it and number 8 is the red house next door, the side of which is Marlborough Road. So your map indication is spot on. I now have the benefit of your map for 1900 and todays level view for the biography I am writing about the occupant in 1900. Thank you for your help. Timothy.

Back