• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath.

what a small world ....no i havent seen her since we left school many moons ago .but we used to go to the silver slades .she won a lot of competitions for her ice dancing .i was left way behind .....

Hi Steph

My Name is Georgina Sheldon and I have an Ada Askew and Arthur Eustace in my family tree on Ancestry, if you send me your email address I think I can open it for you to see, I'm afraid I don't have any photos but the family history of the Eustaces may be of some interest to you.

Kind regards

Georgina Sheldon

Hi everyone, I find this topic very interesting. I lived in Highgate Street for many years (Tudor Place to be exact) and have fond memories of BH. Am trying to read all the postings on all the sites so it should keep me busy for a long time. Nice to be part of it all.

Hello there
i dont know Balsall heath though i am a brummie born and bred i do geneology for a hobby and one of my ancestors kept a pub at 175 clifton road balsall heath went by the name of John Lloyd if not any info on the road would do

kind regards
barry

Hi Barry

I can remember no other pubs in Clifton Rd other than The Gladstone, The Railway & The Clifton and none of them are at 175 because they are all on the wrong side of the road. I have looked in Kelly's and according to them 175 was a newsagents well at least in 1903 & 1913.

Could it be Clifton Rd Aston, because in 1903 175 was the Holte Arms and the Landlord was Arthur Gorman but when I looked at the 1913 directory nothing was listed for 175.

Phil

You don't give any dates, they would help. As Phil, says, 175 was a newsagents immediately before WW1, and it is not listed in 1921 or 1932, There were several John Lloyds around that sort of area as beer retailers (could be off licence or beerhouse), and on eran the Red Cow in the Horsefair, not so far away, around WW1.
There was a Frederick & Agnes Maud Lloyd at 175 Clifton Rd in 1922,25 and 27 (electoral roll) but they were not there 1920 or 1930. Is it possible he just worked at the pub? If under the voting age he could have then lived at 175, but worked elsewhere.
mike

Hi guy's I was born and lived in William Edward St, until the late 60s, I've never heard anybody say there was a pub in the Street, until recently, do you know was there ever a pub there, I know there were at least four factory's and two shop's, which I guess is a lot for such a small Street, any information would be appreciated.

Up to about 1930 No 43 was the Rose Tavern.. the 1932 Kellys lists no 43 as F &.G Morgan, motor garage, which it still was in 1946, but by 1949 the building was not listed
Mike

Thanks Mike, I remember the house well, but had no idea it was a pub, thank you.

The white building to the left of the Angelina Street shop was a fishing tackle makers workshop and shop, they used to make split cane fishing rods St Martins flats were facing these shops across the road. I lived in number 73 with my parents in the late 50s and early 60s.

Does anyone have an old photo of Woodfield Road, Balsall Heath showing, in particular, No. 12 or tell me where I might obtain one.

This is where my grandmother lived at the time of her marriage in 1915. I understand 2 - 14 were demolished in the 70's to make way for a play area.

Many thanks.

David

The white building to the left of the Angelina Street shop was a fishing tackle makers workshop and shop, they used to make split cane fishing rods St Martins flats were facing these shops across the road. I lived in number 73 with my parents in the late 50s and early 60s.
I remember the fishing tackle shop well, I lived around the corner in William Edward ST
152501694760278%7E0.jpg

Not sure if you still check your post on this site, but Pam Bate was a good pal of mine , together with a lad called Raymond Clare. We all lived in Cheddar Rd in the 40's & 50's, and were all about the same age - born in the early 1940's. The last time I saw Pam was in 1960, just after I had joined the RAF. I came back to my Mom's house (No 9, Pam lived at No 11), when on Leave, and somehow ended up taking her out. It was quite strange as, prior to this, we had just been pals playing in the street or the park, and I can distinctly remember how awkward it felt when we said goodnight at her back gate and I gave her a kiss!! Those really were the days! I lost touch after that as the RAF took over the next few years, but I have a feeling that she may have gone to the States, (or was that her sister?). It was such a long time ago! I know she and Raymond were at Mary St primary school and think they then went to Queensbridge.

hi just read your memories about longmore st some of my family lived in longmore street they were gibbson paul john a girl & a young boy who fell from in side a house roof he was 11 his name was robert a very nice boy he was playing in the houses being pulled down so sad

We're holding a reunion for St Martins Flats residents and anyone that lived worked or played in the neighbouring area. It will be on Saturday 21st July, message me for more details.

Hello mikejee , I'm not sure you'll remember a map you posted it had William Edward St on it, and surrounding area,it was one of those you could make out where the houses were, it got lost I would imagine when the site was hacked, do you by any chance have a copy you could repost, thank you,

Hi Liz

I think Mike is off enjoying himself and partaking of the hospitality at the Bull today, but perhaps this will do you until he returns this evening.

Phil

Attachments

• William Edward St.JPG
    William Edward St.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi Elizabeth
I don't seem to have a map in my files labelled william Edward st. You say it had the street on it so this may be because it was labelled with something else, or wa spossibly lost from my computer in the two crashes I have had, which did lose some data that had not been fullly backed up. Phil's map would seem to give you what you want. If there is anything else I can do then let me know.
PS Yes i wa spartaking - and won a very nice pen & ink drawing byCookie of gas st basin in the raffle.
Mike

Thank you Phil and Mike, its about the closest to a photo I've managed to find, with the exeption of one, but that only showed one of the courtyards, I lost lots of photos and things when my computer recently decided to give up, lesson learnt back everything up.

Hi there, a little request, I lived in William Edward St, growing up, recently I spoke to someone who said they lived at 93, I dont recall there being that many houses/shops, I know Dr McGregor was the last building on that side of the St, so could anybody find out what number that was, I thought it only went up to about 70. thank you,

Elizabeth
The highest numbers I can find for the street on the electoral roll are 69 & 70. The surgery on the corner where one of the doctors was John MacGregor was listed as 22 Conybere St
mike

Oh thanks mikejee, thats more how I remember it exept I thought the Drs address was WE Street, you live and learn, thank you.

I think this must be the house of the midwives
58 Southgate Mrs. Anne
S.B.N., s.c.Jt. midwife
58 Fortune Miss Hannah​
S.E.A.N., s.c.M.midwife
Re post 147, nurse Fortune delivered me and 2or 3 of my siblings,

Back