• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Balsall Heath Works

S

Symbo

This seems a good place to start my first post, can anyone point me in the right direction. I am trying to locate S Davey, Upholstery works, could have been Balsall Heath area, my father had worked with them for 14 years and was the Commercial Manager for them, but the works were destroyed when bombed in 1942 and so he lost his job. Would like to know anything about the company and where they were located please.
My thanks
Symbo

Can't find an S.Davey in the directories immediately prior the war up to 1940, but there is:

Davey & Stotter Ltd. upholsterers, Fazeley st. & Andover st.' Midland 4964 & 4965
mike​

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that Davey & Stotter rings bells, but the only paperwork I had seen was Hearded "S Davey (Upholsterers) telling Dad that not enough of the works was left to re-open after the 1942 bombing. Looking at the address I am sure we are in the right place; he started work with them in 1928 as an office junior, working up to Commertial Manager, he was living in Sparkhill, then later Solihull.
Thanks, it's a start
Symbo

There was also ;
Daveys, house furnishers, 45 Smallbrook st 5 (Midland 1342) & 522 Stratford rd. Sparkhill. Victoria 0657, but they look more like a shop, but maybe they were the retail end of the business
Mike

In 1949, there's a Stanley Davey, upholsterer at 18, Broom Street 12.

Colin

Now that could be, as with own factory, and it was this that was bombed, makes sence to have own retail outlets,
Symbo

Thanks Colin,
This is also a contender, as I think the S Davey was listed as Birmingham 12
Symbo

Just seen your posting. Jim Stotter of ´Davey & Stotter´ was my grandfather. My mother, who is 87yrs, remembers quite a bit about that era. Regards Lesley

Hi Lesley,
Thanks for that, I was just trying to find what I could about the firm, since my father had been with them since he was 19 years old, he had been in lodgings at Pitmaston Road, Hallgreen, and after 10 years married the landlady's daughter. In 1941 he moved to Hurdis Road, Shirley as his second child was on the way and so needed more room and was doing very well at work being the Commercial Mgr., it seems had the works not been bombed he would have been offered a position on the board of directors. Such is life,,
Best regards,
Symbo

Hi Lesley,
Thanks for that, I was just trying to find what I could about the firm, since my father had been with them since he was 19 years old, he had been in lodgings at Pitmaston Road, Hallgreen, and after 10 years married the landlady's daughter. In 1941 he moved to Hurdis Road, Shirley as his second child was on the way and so needed more room and was doing very well at work being the Commercial Mgr., it seems had the works not been bombed he would have been offered a position on the board of directors. Such is life,,
Best regards,
Symbo
Hi Symbo
This reply is very late....about 11 years. However, recently my mother passed away and when I was sorting her paperwork I found some photos of the factory. There are also some of the people in the workrooms. and I thought perhaps you might like to see them.
Regards
Lesley

hi lesley and welcome...symbo is now only a guest on the forum so unless rejoins will not be able to reply to you but i am sure we would love to see the photos you have please....so sorry for your recent loss

lyn

Back