• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baldwin And Mason Hardware Aston

Smudger

master brummie
For a while after leaving the Army, i drove for a hardware wholesaler in Aston (or possibly Nechells) & for the life of me i can`t remember the name of the firm. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Smudger.

For a while after leaving the Army, i drove for a hardware wholesaler in Aston (or possibly Nechells) & for the life of me i can`t remember the name of the firm. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Smudger.
Hi, I remember a hardware shop in Aston, it stood opposite the ITV television studio, it was owned by Ansells Brewery and was called (The Big Broom).

Hi, I remember a hardware shop in Aston, it stood opposite the ITV television studio, it was owned by Ansells Brewery and was called (The Big Broom).
Thanks Steve, but this was a wholesaler, & i used to load the wagon with barb wire, nails etc. & deliver round Worcester, Hereford, Gloucester, as well as Brum. I could change my deliveries around so i could park up in Worcester & do a couple of hours fishing. Great job..

could be difficult without a street or road name smudger....even more harder without a definate area but fingers crossed someone may turn it up

lyn

Smudger

Roughly what year would this be? Why Nechells or Aston, was it borderline? Was it a manufacturer of nails & barbed wire etc or did it supply other types of hardware?

How about John Reynolds & Sons Ltd, Newtown Row, nail manufacturers, most nail makers made barbed wire as well?

AD Foulkes in Cheston Rd, they had several depots, I worked at their Stratford Rd depot..
There was also Baldwin and mason, Lancaster St, Aston..

Back