• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baldwin And Mason Hardware Aston

Smudger

master brummie
For a while after leaving the Army, i drove for a hardware wholesaler in Aston (or possibly Nechells) & for the life of me i can`t remember the name of the firm. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Smudger.

Stevehanson

master brummie
For a while after leaving the Army, i drove for a hardware wholesaler in Aston (or possibly Nechells) & for the life of me i can`t remember the name of the firm. Can anyone help?
Thanks, Smudger.
Hi, I remember a hardware shop in Aston, it stood opposite the ITV television studio, it was owned by Ansells Brewery and was called (The Big Broom).

Smudger

master brummie
Hi, I remember a hardware shop in Aston, it stood opposite the ITV television studio, it was owned by Ansells Brewery and was called (The Big Broom).
Thanks Steve, but this was a wholesaler, & i used to load the wagon with barb wire, nails etc. & deliver round Worcester, Hereford, Gloucester, as well as Brum. I could change my deliveries around so i could park up in Worcester & do a couple of hours fishing. Great job..

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
could be difficult without a street or road name smudger....even more harder without a definate area but fingers crossed someone may turn it up

lyn

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Smudger

Roughly what year would this be? Why Nechells or Aston, was it borderline? Was it a manufacturer of nails & barbed wire etc or did it supply other types of hardware?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
How about John Reynolds & Sons Ltd, Newtown Row, nail manufacturers, most nail makers made barbed wire as well?

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
AD Foulkes in Cheston Rd, they had several depots, I worked at their Stratford Rd depot..
There was also Baldwin and mason, Lancaster St, Aston..