• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bakery shops

yes jan it looks like gregory panks could have been a wimbush shop so lets hope a photo of it can be found...moving this thread to the shops section of the forum

lyn

Last edited:
Kelly's for 1973/4 gives 88 as J. Gould Tailor. 90 as Sea Cavern, Fried Fish. Also 86 as Harper Harris Typewriter"dirs?" and Typewriter service. Maybe they were upstairs in an office?
As these posts are off topic perhaps they should be moved?
rosie.

Anyone remember Cox's Bakery Icknield port road? They had shops on the Dudley road, Cape hill, Harborne and Newtown.

stocktons firkins astons

Hi mw0njm.

I remember fondly the following bakery shops, Wimbush & Baines (Lozells Rd), Firkins (Hamstead Village & The Radleys) & latterly when out on the road Greggs (dripping cakes & Belgian Buns

Lozellian

stocktons firkins astons

Hi mw0njm.

I remember fondly the following bakery shops, Wimbush & Baines (Lozells Rd), Firkins (Hamstead Village & The Radleys) & latterly when out on the road Greggs (dripping cakes & Belgian Buns mmm).

Lozellian

Hi caggyken,

The name rings a bell but, I can't say in all honesty that I know of any of their shops / locations, which immediately spring to mind, sorry mate.

Lozellian.
They had a shop in Birmingham indoor market in the Bull Ring, also at West ? Bromwich and Ac ocks Green

I remember 3 Cooks in Lea Village, but not sure if it was a small company or part of one of the big ones.
In 1948, or maybe 49. I was luffed by my family to the Ideal Homes Exhibition at Bingley Hall. Having little interest if home furnishings at the age of 11 my interest was taken by a stand called Three Cooks. They had small samples of soup. I tried two different types but it was obvious my welcome would wear out for a third. :D The product was not in cans but a powder in a packet. I wonder if ladies here recall this product? I don't recall what else they had, but I the impression I got was that they were part of a much larger company.

My dad used to work at Baines bakery in the 60s and we lived in a bakery house in finch road lozells does anyone have photos would love to see where I lived as a child.

Back