• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bakers Aston or Deritend

B

Barbara Anne

Hi
I wonder if anyone can tell me whether an ancestor listed as a Baker would have had a shop. I have an ancestor living in Canal street, Aston 1841 and 1851 census, listed as a baker. His son age 14 in 1841 is listed as an apprentice to a baker and living in Deritend.
thanks
Barbara

Hi again Barbara, Yes it's possible he had a shop, it may be worth checking trade directories to be sure. There were many bakers at this time as bread was a staple diet. My great grandfather owned a few shops and his family worked in them. He also had apprentices.

Hi Moma P ,
thanks, I have checked directories and found my William Owen, 22 Canal Street in the list of bakers.
regards
Barbara

I lived at 127 Frederick Road in the early 50s which was then Malcolms Scotch Bakery and confectioners. My Father and Mother ran the place. Ration books were still in use at the time. Corner of Frederick Road and Bevington Road Aston.

Back