• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bakers 147 Great Francis Street and coal merchant at 32 Great Francis St 1910 - 1940

RonA

Can anyone help with info about a bakers 147 Great Francis Street from 1910 to 1920. My wifes grandfather William Osborne Bull is thought to have run the shop in this period.

Coinsidentally my grandfather was a coal merchant at 32 Great Francis Street fron 1910 to 1940. His name was Edward Coulson and I live there for a few months after I was born. Again any info on this.

Re: Bakers 147 Great Francis Street and coal merchant at 32 Great Francis St 1910 - 1

From Kellys :for 147 Gt.Francis St:
1910- 1915 Beasley, Thomas, baker
1921 Bull Mrs.Elizabeth. Ann, baker

The electoral roll shows William Osborne, Elizabeth Ann & Arthur Frederick Bull listed there in 1920, but but 1922 it is Arthur George & Agnes Cox

Re: Bakers 147 Great Francis Street and coal merchant at 32 Great Francis St 1910 - 1

The 1911 census lists Edward Coulson + wife Emily (married 11 years) + children Ada aged 10, George aged 8, John aged 6, Ivy aged 3, Hilda aged 1 and a baby Mabel (4 months) - his occupation is given as a general haulier.

William Bull is listed at a private address in Sparkbrook (48 White Road) with his wife Elizabeth (married 25 years) and Alfred aged 20 (it says daughter but I think that must be wrong!) and Annie aged 17. It lists his occupation as baker.

Hope this helps

Janice

Belated thanks to Mike and Janice.

The Coulsons are my family (Mabel was my mother) and the my wifes father was Alfred Bull (definitely not female).

We did not know that the Bulls lived at 48 White Road. This produces another coinsidence as my wife's other grandparents lived very near White Road in Torquay Terrace. Torquay Terrace no londer exists.

Ron

Back