• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bakeries

Hi There. I am doing some family research and I know that a great-great Uncle (possibly George Grant) had a bakery during the 1930's and 40's at 336 Long Acre, Nechells, possibly near or on the corner of Addison Road called Grants Bakery. Does anyone know anything of this shop or have any memories or even photos of Long Acre during this period please. Thank you. Vicky.

Grants Bakery are listed in Kellys directories from the 1933 till the 1943 editions. This is the publication date, so they may have been there 1932 till 1942. It is listed there as being at 336 and back of 338. The back 1938 would presumably be what in the 1950s map below was a leather goods factory. I would assume that 336 was the shop, and back 338 was where the baking took place

map 1950s showing where Grants Bakers were earlier.jpg

Thank you so much Mike, that has answered a years old question for me! I have just found the name of the bakery on the 1921 census. A.J Grants, so it was in fact my Great-Great Uncle Arthur that was the master baker but he employed many other members of the family it seems! Thank you once again for your help.

Anyone remember Hardings bakery in Yardley?
My dad had a bread round and went to Hardings to load up his van before delivering to quite a large rural area in north Warwickshire.I often went with him and well remember the delicious aroma of all that just baked bread.
Tojo.

At about the same time there appears to be a Grants Bakery at Lyndon St, West Bromwich. To your knowledge were they related?

To be honest Mike I can't be sure but I had heard rumblings down the family that there may have been more than one. At the moment I am having trouble even finding the most basic info on Arthur Grant the owner. He appears on the 1891 census and then his name seems to change to Albert on subsequent ones and Arthur just vanishes. However, all family sources appear to call the Master Baker/Owner Arthur Grant. The plot thickens!!

Back