• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

baker family

kath

knowlegable brummie
Hi Can anyone look up the electoria rolls for me. I am looking for Mary Baker in the electorial rolls for 1930 to 1945. She was living in Shakespear Street, Birmingham.
Kath

Hi Can anyone look up the electoria rolls for me. I am looking for Mary Baker in the electorial rolls for 1930 to 1945. She was living in Shakespear Street, Birmingham.
Kath

Hi Kath. Have looked through the electoral roll index from 1930 to 1945, there isn't a Mary Baker in Shakespeare St. There are hundreds of women named Mary Baker, do you know who she might be with?

Barrie.

ps. is Mary Baker her full name?

Hi Barrie,
Thanks for helping. Is there a Shakespear Road or is it the same as Street? I think it's in Ladywood. I believe George and Laura Hunt moved in with her in the 30's. Mary Baker is my great grandmother. I have her on the 1891 census age 29 living at 3 Hse, 4crt Holland Street but I havn't found her in 1901. My mother did tell me she remembered visiting her on that street (or road) and that there was a pawnbrokers on the same street. This is all I know of her. Any help would be appreciated
Kath

Found a 'Sarah,' but no Mary.....

1935 Ladywood Ward Hunt Laura 8 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward Hunt George 8 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward Baker Sarah 8 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD

thanks Albion
That sounds like right one for 1935 I guess I could have the wrong census for 1891 or else she used both names. I wonder if she is still on Shakespear Road with the Hunts in 1939. I will need the electorial rolls for Sarah Baker for 1925, 1920 and 1912. I am also looking for her children Laura and James so they should also be on with her in the 1912 but they got married after that. I know this is a lot to ask but I would appreciate it if you or someone could help.
Thanks Kath

The Hunts were at 27 Long Acre, Duddeston & Nechells ward in 1939 & 1945... Sarah wasn't with them.

@ 8 Roxton Place, Shakespeare road.
1920 Sarah & Alfred
1925 Sarah & James
1930 Sarah, James & May

Thanks Albion
address for my Hunts is correct, 27 long acre, as I have birth certificate for one of the children at that address. You say Sarah & Alfred are at 8 Roxton Place, Shakespear Rd. in 1939 and the other names 1925/30. Is Baker listed as all their last names. There were several Bakers in the family and I am trying to fit them together. I feel Mary Baker is the correct name for my grandmother. Another possibility is she is listed with Laura and Henry DeVere in their household on Shakespear Road in 1920, 1925, 1930 and 1939. Could you please check that. I know I ask too much but it is really great when other people can help you piece your family together.
Thanks Kath

Sarah & Alfred are NOT at Roxton in 1939,.... Just the Hunts.

I've given all the names of people living at these addresses at the time. Please don't forget that only people old enough to vote are recorded at these addresses.

The only Laura & Henry Devere that comes up, is;
1939 Harborne Devere Henry 29 Max road
1939 Harborne Devere Laura 29 Max road
1939 Harborne Devere Esther 29 Max road
1939 Harborne Devere Eileen 29 Max road

There are too many Mary Baker's (54 pages) to check them out. Whether she had a middle name or not would certainly help ;)

*Newsflash*

The Name Devere or De Vere has been transcribed as just VERE....
Sooooooo......

1925 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Henry 1 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1925 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Laura 1 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD

1930 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Henry 1 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1930 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Laura 1 Roxton place SHAKESPEARE ROAD

1935 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Esther 10 Cambridge place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward De Vere, Michael Dennis 10 Cambridge place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward Mucklow, James 10 Cambridge place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward Mucklow, Esther Kathleen 10 Cambridge place SHAKESPEARE ROAD
1935 Ladywood Ward Baker, Sarah 10 Cambridge place SHAKESPEARE ROAD

So now there is a problem.....

In 1935 there is a Sarah Baker at 8 Roxton place & 10 Cambridge place, Shakespeare road.
Both fit, so what now?

Last edited:
albion
Thanks so much for your help. Having all these addressess is really good. It certainly helps track a family between census records. Sarah Baker was Esther (Baker) Mucklow's mother so she could be the one at 10 Cambridge Place , Shakespear Road in 1935 but I don't know the other one. Too bad they don't give ages as this would be helpful. I am pretty sure Mary A. Baker is my great grandmother. Perhaps she is living with someone else in 1920 and beyond. Thanks again for your help.
Kath

Albion I typed that wrong. Sarah Baker was Esther (De Vere) Mucklow's grandmother. So many names it gets confusing.
Kath

hi kath
yes they are the ones from lady wood and they are from shakespear rd lady wood and the grand mother lived at the botom of shakespear rd in the late40s and early fifties
in the ajoing block which curtailed st marks street in which she lived behind the wrights laudry wash house and that was facing a horse trough in those days
at the botom of the st marks street and the junction of the little kingedwards rd across the kingedwards rd facing was little st marks street
that side of king edwards rd was known as the big king edwards rd i lived up the other side of king edwards rd known as the little king edwards rd
and they lived upa terrace next to the hopings , and the birds the chapmans and reg elliss neal wright whom parents ran the laundry shop
i think there was achristine baker was related to her a blonde hair girl
our good old friend mossy may be help on this one as he was brought up in the shakespear rd and that particular baker i can recll as well
there was a could close commutityin shakespear rd in those days even thou they was rough and ready
and there grand mother experienced a bomb explosion made her death and dumb for the rest of her life and one or two opf her grand sons used to do the birmingham rag alley as seller there best wishes astonion

Hi Brian, I don't recall any of my Baker family living in Lengard Stret. Only know they lived in Shakespear Road. Also Astonian I never heard of anyone in my Baker family who was in a bomb explosion. Thanky anyway Kath

I have a death certificate for an Elizabeth Baker of Summer Road she died aged 59 in 1921. I sent for this in error. If anyone is connected I will forward the certificate

Hi I know this is an old post, Esther De vere is my great great grandmother x
Would love to find out her mother and fathers name we have a missing link and would love to connect.. my grandfather was James devere his mother was esther devere/mucklow. My mother Kelly kathleens father was James Devere and we would love we could connect the missing

Esther Devere's parents appear to have been Thomas Wallace Devere and Esther Baker. Esther was the daughter of Alfred Baker and Sarah Bassett.

Esther Devere's parents appear to have been Thomas Wallace Devere and Esther Baker. Esther was the daughter of Alfred Baker and Sarah Bassett.
Hi yes I saw this too,but I wasn't sure if it was correct only because Sarah bassatt was born in punjab india ?? Unless I was on a different Sarah bassatt. This can become quite a journey of information. We have the history of the De vere, but not the bakers. I know esther baker was my great grandmother and her mothers name was Sarah?? and I have old photos here with the bakers and the devere

Sorry, James and Emma were both married previously. And Emma's previous husband was John Bassett, possibly James' brother. James' previous wife was a Mary Haynes.

Unfortunately, Sarah's birth (if this is it in 1852) appears to be listed with the incorrect mmn (Bassett), so it seems possible that her parents were James Bassett and Mary Haynes but can't be certain.

However, John and Emma appear to definitely have had a daughter called Sarah Ann, so even less certain about her parents now even though she listed James as her father on her marriage to Alfred Baker.

Last edited:
This is really interesting thankyou so I don't suppose you could help me with the mucklow side? My great grandad the reason its confusing is all the children took the Devere and not mucklow, I think as I said It can all get really confusing

I can, no problem, but so as not to take over this thread I'll start a new one titled Mucklow/Devere family.

Should also be more noticeable by anyone else interested in those names.

Link here...

Last edited:
Hi yes I saw this too,but I wasn't sure if it was correct only because Sarah bassatt was born in punjab india ?? Unless I was on a different Sarah bassatt. This can become quite a journey of information. We have the history of the De vere, but not the bakers. I know esther baker was my great grandmother and her mothers name was Sarah?? and I have old photos here with the bakers and the devere
Hello. Esther Devere (nee Baker) was my great grandmother too. I wonder if we have emailed each other before? My grandmother was Esther and Thomas devere’s youngest daughter, Cicely. Would love to see photos if you have them, I’ve been searching for years …

Hello Kim66
My grandmother was Esther and Thomas De Vere’s daughter, Esther Kathleen, i have pictures of Cicely.

Back