• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baker family of Windowcleaners

sticky01

Brummie babby
Hello Everyone,
I need help, yes another person doing the family tree. Anyone remember Neville Baker b 1922, son of Robert (known as Jim) & May Baker, he was a window cleaner I believe, and had some brothers/sisters I believe there was a tragic accident, can anyone tell be more about that or the family. May was my fathin-in-laws sister.

Am also looking for roberts sister May b 1892 in Welshpool, brother Hugh b 1894 in Welshpool, brother George b 1900 in Halesowen and sister Mabel b 1904 in Stourbridge. I know their parents were Hugh Baker b 1868 d 1930 in South Birmingham he was a carpenter & Sarah Catherine Lloyd B1865 d 1930. When they first came to the area they lived in New Road, Halesowen, later moving the 11 Earls Court Road, Halesowen.

Any information or memories of the above would be greatly appreciated.

I'v had a good read and have found this site facinating.

Regards to you all

In 1911 there was a Hugh Baker, aged 18, born Welshpool,who was an in-patient at the Jaffray Hospital, Erdington.
His occupation was given as bread deliverer. (Brother Robert James Baker was listed as a baker in 1911)
There was a May Baker aged 20,born Welshpool, listed as a Domestic Housemaid at a Drapery Establishment in High Street,Birmingham City centre.
Hugh and Sarah Baker were listed at 70 Selsey Road from at least 1920,having moved from Earls Court Rd, Harborne by 1912.
Marriages Jun 1924
George Baker married Jennie Elizabeth Slater Kidderminster 6c 187
Births Dec 1924
Muriel I Baker mmn Slater Birmingham S. 6d 167
Births Mar 1932
Brian Baker mmn Slater Birmingham S. 6d 26
Marriages Jun 1949
David T Watkins married Muriel I Baker Birmingham 9c 304
Members of the Baker family were still at 70 Selsey Road in 1955 (George and Jennie and son Brian)
George's daughter Muriel and husband David Slater were living at 60 Selsey Road in 1955.

Wow thank you so much Ladylinda, I had the 1911 census, but knew nothing more, thats marvelous thank you.
Robert James went to Hendon and was a Tram Conductor, when he got married in 1912, he then went back to Birmingham, Hall Green, I think.

1927 at 4 Fraser Rd,Hall Green
Robert and May
1935 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert and (Louisa) May
1939/1940 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert and May with sons Robert James and William Hugh.
1945 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert J Baker YQAA/9354O7 (this is some sort of service number,I think?)
Robert J Baker QBEE/1/1 (this is some sort of service number,I think?)
(Louisa) May
Robert and May listed at 55 Highfield Rd until at least 1955

There is a Neville G Baker living at 55 Delamere Road with a Bertram and Ida Meredith in 1947
Possible marriage?
Marriages Jun 1948
Neville G Baker married Jean M Pickering
Birmingham 9c 1157

Ladylinda what can I say but thank you, you just keep finding me bits, I found a bit today The Selly Oak Window Cleaning Co. was their trading name, so anyone heard of them ?

From Kellys directories:

No access to kellys 1922-31. Not listed in 1921
1936-37 Baker Rt. Jas. Motor Propr 55 Highfield rd 28
1932-40 Selly Oak Window Cleaning Co. window cleaners, 55 Highfield rd 28
1932-40 Baker Rt Jas. 55 Highfield rd 28
1943 Page Kenneth V.
1944-46 Baker R J. window cleaner, 55 Highfield rd 28
1949-50 Selly Oak Window Cleaning Co. (R J Baker prop) window cleaners, 55 Highfield rd 28
1955-67 Selly Oak Window Cleaning Co. Ltd. Window cleaners ,55 Highfield rd 28. Springfield 2306
No Selly Oak Window cleaning after 1967
1955- 72 Baker R J. 55 Highfield rd 28
1973 Baker L
No Kellys after 1972

He must have rented out the house while he was at war , and possibly came back early (wounded?). Aso seems to have been a motor proprietor for a couple of years as second string to his bow.
Mike

Thank you Mike, yes Jim would have obviousy been involved in the war and was apparently 'very sucessful' to the tune of helping out other members of his wife's family. You all keep finding little snippets and I send them round the family and they come back with memories its great. Nobodies found anything yet about this tragic accident involving one of the sons (Neville they think) and a collapsed/damaged cradle/hoist mechanism ? Are the local newspapers archives available anywhere ?
I can't thank you Brummies enough

Please accept my apology for re-activating this thread. Robert Baker jnr was my grandfather. I am currently trying to put together a family tree myself and I would be very interested in hearing any information that you have.

1927 at 4 Fraser Rd,Hall Green
Robert and May
1935 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert and (Louisa) May
1939/1940 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert and May with sons Robert James and William Hugh.
1945 at 55 Highfield Rd,Hall Green
Robert J Baker YQAA/9354O7 (this is some sort of service number,I think?)
Robert J Baker QBEE/1/1 (this is some sort of service number,I think?)
(Louisa) May
Robert and May listed at 55 Highfield Rd until at least 1955
An old post I know, but ladylinda was on BHF today.
The service numbers mentioned YQAA and QBEE could well be National Registration letters and numbers.

Hi Folks, I am still looking for my ancestors and am now stuck on Olive Eileen Hughes b 4/10/1919 I am looking for her parents, her mother maiden name was Lea and she was born in Aston. But I can not find her in 1939, I know she married Robert James Baker in 1942 and left him, I assume taking the 4 children in 1948 and re married. Any idea if I could find her Baptism, as I can not find a marriage between Hughes and Lea so I have no Christian names for her parents.
Help please.

Hi Folks, I am still looking for my ancestors and am now stuck on Olive Eileen Hughes b 4/10/1919 I am looking for her parents, her mother maiden name was Lea and she was born in Aston. But I can not find her in 1939, I know she married Robert James Baker in 1942 and left him, I assume taking the 4 children in 1948 and re married. Any idea if I could find her Baptism, as I can not find a marriage between Hughes and Lea so I have no Christian names for her parents.
Help please.

We must be part of the same family tree! I am also in search of information on this side of the family.

I think (from what I have found) that Olive remarried in 1948 to an Eric Lawrence and they went on to have another 2 children.

Are you sure that Olive and Robert had 4 children together?

On the 1945 electoral roll Olive is living at 21 Myrtle Grove with Henry B and Marjorie E Turton.

Henry B Turton marries Marjorie E Hughes 1940 in Birmingham.

Marjorie Elizabeth Turton death registered Apr 1984 Bham, dob listed as 21 Nov 1917.

Marjorie Elizabeth Hughes birth registered Dec qtr 1917 in Aston, mmn listed as Lee.

On 1939 register Marjorie E Hughes (Turton) is living at 164 Bromyard Road with Charles J, Elizabeth & Ronald J Hughes. There are 3 closed records.

Marriage registered for Charles J Hughes and Elizabeth Lee Sep qtr 1914, Birmingham. Took place 11 Jul 1914 - fathers listed as Charles James Hughes and Harry Lee.

So it appears that there is a slight error for Olive's mmn and it should be Lee.

Olive Eileen Lawrence death registered Sep 1993, dob listed as 4 Oct 1919.

Hi, seems there’s a lot of people looking for Robert J Baker jr . I’m his great-grand daughter and was curious as to who he was as my grandfather never had any contact with him. My grandfather’s mother (Olive) did remarry Eric Lawrence and had 2 children with him. It would be interesting to see what he Robert Jr looked like if anyone has any pictures?

Help please.
Hello, family trees can be such fun discovering who's who in the zoo. I have read your posts and believe I am a missing link from Jim Baker & Olive Eileen Hughes. I am reaching out to you to as I wish we had known about Multiple myeloma. Olives son with Jim Baker died of Multiple myeloma. This type of cancer is rare and runs in families and caught early can be treated. The key is to know Multiple myeloma has featured. Please would you pass this on to the Baker family as it presents itself as a dull ache and unless your GP is aware of a history of Multiple myeloma they won't test//invariably it's diagnosed to late. I hope you will understand I am sending this to you
with the best intentions as my father died a horrid death and I would not want another person to go through what he went through. As I said family trees can be fun and I hope you still enjoy your search. Kindest regards

Back