• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baines the Bakers

The Church Road, Aston is a nice photo. (Post 29#). There are some things that were advertised differently in the time of the photo it seems. For instance 'biscuit? bread' is available - 6d. for 4 lbs. Boiled? is over twice as expensive at 1/2d. Seconds bread is 5d. per 4 lbs. Birthday cakes are still advertised as such but notable wedding cakes were called bride cakes then, it seems.
Presumably the sacks in post 30 were owned by Baines and refilled at a flour mill, probably not far away.

Its lovely reading about the old references to Baines bakery on here, my Grandad and Great Grandparents were the owners, sold up in the 50s I believe. Any more information would be great to ready about.
I worked at the bakery in 1960 I do have some old photos of the draw plate ovens as well as other parts of the bakery one of my jobs was to clean the burners at the rear of the ovens on a Saturday morning

Last edited:
nice photo viv...i think that the building to the right of baines was the village maid pub...alas along with the bakery no longer there

lyn

yes I lived in Finch Rd, 1958 to 72. My father was a manager at the bakery, and we lived in a company house just a few yards down the road. Rank-Hovis, who owned Baines at that time, closed the bakery when they built a much larger and more up to date one somewhere else in the West Midlands, and our family left Brum at that point. Have many fond memories of the area, but probably wouldn't recognize it if
I went back now.
We lived in a company house, my dad was a baker we lived at number 6, we left in 71

There used to be a T.H. Baines bakery itself in Langton Road Alum Rock next to the Grand Cinema
, but this was demolished years ago.
Hello Ianmonger. I hope this post reaches you. You mentioned T.H. Baines A bakery shop/bakers in Langton Rd Alum Rock. Would you know anything about T.H. Baines, his family or anyone who might have any information about him or his relatives,? I do know he was a member of a club on the Washwoodheath Rd. Ward end in the 1920s. The club is The Washwood Heath and Ward End Conservative Club. Now called Maitland Hall. A bit of a long shot i Know but stranger things happen. Thanks Ray.

Very interesting article on the Baines bakery brothers!
Thank you very much Richard for your reply. If at all possible, could you/would you do any research into Thomas Henry Baines family, The reason I ask Is, he Presented A Trophy to the Crown Green Bowling section of the Conservative Club in 1928. The Cup was played for every year since, which then was presented to the winner, "The Club Champion," ever since. The trophy Is Named, "The Baines Cup" I would like his family to know that The Trophy is in Good Safekeeping Hands after all these years. (They probably do not know it exists.) The club will be 100 years old next year. Thanks again, Ray.

Its lovely reading about the old references to Baines bakery on here, my Grandad and Great Grandparents were the owners, sold up in the 50s I believe. Any more information would be great to ready about.
Hello Kelly, I wonder if your grandad or great grandad,s name was Thomas Henry, Baines. As i have since found out thanks to a poster on this group called Ianmonger. Thomas had a Bakery in Alum Rock, Saltley in the 1920s. He was a member of a club in Ward End called Maitland Hall around that time. I was also a member of that club for 60 years. He presented a Trophy for The Bowling section to play for every year called The Baines Cup. I wonder if you can help by filling in any details about Henry. Thanks in advance, Ray Cope.

Back