• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baines the Bakers

E

eileen

Hello. My query relates to the picture of Baines which appears under New Content. Does anyone know the name of the road on the nameplate on the wall? Eileen

The name on the street sign is Phillips Street

Its the corner of Phillips Street and High Street / Newtown Row. You can see straight down Phillips Street. I think Ive messed up on my dates for the picture though. It's perhaps three or four years earlier I think?

Rod, do you know if number 8 Phillips St would be showing in that Picture? My Father was living there in 1881.

Nick

Rod - thanks very much for the information. Just what I was looking for. Eileen

HI EVERYBODY , AND ANY ONE , TOP OF THE MORNING TO YOU ALL
I JUST READ ELLENS THREAD ABOUT BAINES,S BAKERY IN NEWTOWN AND HER FATHER ,
I JUST WONDERED WETHER OR NOT , DOES ANYBODY IF THERE IS ANY BAINES ,S SHOP
STILL IN EXCISTING AROUND BRUM , TODAY , OR HAVE THEY BEEN TAKEN OVER BY GREGGS
FROM ALUM ROCK ? >
ALSO AM I RIGHT THAT THERE BAKERY STARTED IN FINCH ROAD AT THE CORNER OF LOZELLS RD ,
DOES ANY BODY RECALL SCRIBONS,S BAKERY AT LODGE RD HOCKLEY EITHER
OR WHERE BRAGGS FIRST STARTED IN HIGH FIELD RD ALUM ROCK IN A SMALL PREMISES .
I WOULD BE INTRESTED TO HEAR ANY STORIES OR EXPERINCES
HAVE A NICE DAY EVERYBODY,, ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;;;;;;

Ill try and have a search through my piccies to see if we might have any. It would have only been a few doors away from where I lived Brummie Nick, I lived at 4a

hi all...just come accross this pic of george baines bakery..finch road....now i know that the village maid pub was next to it but would anyone know if it was to the left or to the right....in this pic i can see a building to the left which may be the pub....in fact looking at it again it could well be the village maid...

can't see the picture, but I can tell you the main entrance to the bakery was to the right of the pub, nearer Lozells Rd. The bakery ran all the way behind the pub and there was also a delivery entrance on the other side. As I remember the bakery also had offices the other side of Finch Rd, with a depot for their delivery vans behind them

baines bakery finch road.jpghi exbrum ..there is a notice at the top of the page saying that some images cant be viewed owing to the site being hacked some time back where we lost all of our images but here is a photo of baines bakery..just out of interest did you live locally ??

lyn

yes I lived in Finch Rd, 1958 to 72. My father was a manager at the bakery, and we lived in a company house just a few yards down the road. Rank-Hovis, who owned Baines at that time, closed the bakery when they built a much larger and more up to date one somewhere else in the West Midlands, and our family left Brum at that point. Have many fond memories of the area, but probably wouldn't recognize it if
I went back now.

village maid finch road.jpgexbrum i am quite sure you would not recognise the area now..here is another pic showing the village maid pub i think that is baines bakery just to the right of it...both gone now...

thanks for that. I'm amazed to see the sign "beer garden and children's area at rear"; I wouldn't have thought there could be room. As I said, my memory is the main entrance to the bakery was what you see to the right (effectively what you see in your other picture), but the bakery went behind the pub, and the building to the left of it was also part of the bakery.

Hi There Exbrumie
very nice to hear of your input regarding the bakery of baines finch rd lozells rd
I have a sister inlaw whom is getting on now in age and worked there for years when she was young and got older and she met a scouser from liverpool there and they got married one saturday morning when they was not working that day
during the periods you have said and right up to the end of the period baines closed down
just shortly after baines closed down about ten months later i think it was the place burnt down badly and gutted and they turned it into
an idustreal units and seperate small bussiness openened up with in the complex and one of them was a wash and laundry busines called wrights
set up by a young couple but a year or two later they sold out to some one else the old cuople now live down selly park ;
but what i was gong to say that before baines set up there bussiness at that site in 1925 ajoing it was a cycle [ bike ] maker ]
and this was in the late 1800s through to there period i think it was called sun cycles whom made bkes push bikes
they used to have a huge signhigh up above the side building of baines bakeriers as i recall it was there for many years
i met an very old lady on my travels incastle bromwich whom was hanicapped and wheel chair bound her husband was a general excective at the old jag sports and
social club i used to go to her house she was a very old lady at the time this is near on fifty years ago when i met her and it was quite often i would be at her house
and she told me its her family bussiness and she was a mmember of the family to it and she was part share holder of this one time firm of bike makers
as i said the firm had closed down many years ago from that site but was operatimng some where else but the sign was still kept above baines office out side walls
it was a huge sign and yopu could not miss it for a half mile away from the buildind of baines
about nine years ago or more the article of baines and pictures and the story and the pictures of the oldsun cycle manufactures have all disapeard
along with the fuller story of the sun cycle bikes which i also put an input to it but i do not have off them on my books of files now on my comp; records
the guy she married was frank and his step brother was a security officier at bulpitts camden street and ickneild street
best wishes Astonian ;;;;

There used to be a T.H. Baines bakery itself in Langton Road Alum Rock next to the Grand Cinema
, but this was demolished years ago.

Hi harry
There used to be loads of Baine's cake shops all around brum from over the years when I was a kid
Harry I hope you do not mind me asking you this personal question but have you got a son called Alan and a grand son called Alan
Down here in brum best wishes astonian

Last edited by a moderator:
Astonian, thanks for all the info. 'Can't remember the sign from the bike makers myself, but then, thinking back, it's been 40 years since I was in Finch Rd! all the best, exbrum

Good. Day to ya exbrummie
Nice to hear from you again hope your weather is grand, I went through that territory the other day brummie
And not been that way myself in years my oh my it was so sad to see the whole place run down and dirty and intimidating
To drive bye I left the Birmingham area of Aston near on 14 years and I was gob smacked when I drove up through that lozells red and villa red and through to the Wins
Winston green area sad best wishes astonian

Okay Exbrummie
Well to tell you truth; i did not expect you to so ; because the sign went down with the bakery it was completed gutted throgh out the whole building
from the roof to ground level ;it was after the bakey had moved out and stood empty for a good few years
but the sign when it was up was way abouve the baines bakery sign i can only presumed because of its history to the actual building
and it was there before they moved in so i presume the manaement of the bakery decided to leave it there way above there sign
i do actualy recall writing the thread for other members at the time on this forum and then other members put an input to it on this forum
this was ten years ago but as you know the forum was out of action for a couple of weeks at that time some one hi jacked us and all as gone
still i will try and recall the family name and the old cycle bussiness name for therte bikes
take care best wishes astonian ;;;;;

Back