• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baines Louisa

Brum51

I have a Louisa Baines in my family that I cannot find anything about prior 1871 when her son Thomas was born. No birth, no parents, can anyone help my in my research.

Many thanks

Brum51

Attachments

• Thomas Baines Birth Cert 1871.PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • George Towner & Louisa  Baines Marriage Certificate 1880.jpg
    George Towner & Louisa Baines Marriage Certificate 1880.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 10
hi brum 51 have i got this correct...louisas son thomas was born before she married george towner?

lyn

I have a Louisa Baines in my family that I cannot find anything about prior 1871 when her son Thomas was born. No birth, no parents, can anyone help my in my research.

Many thanks

Brum51
Hi Brum51,
Are these your rellies?

1881 at 2 Court 7House Brass street.
George Towner age 24yrs. occupation; Striker Blacksmith.
Louisa " age 28yrs. " Japanner
Thomas " age 11yrs. Scholar
Florence " age 6yrs
George " age 2yrs.
All of them born Birmingham.

1891 at 8 Prospect Place.
George Towner age 37yrs occupation Gas Fitter
Louisa " age 40yrs
Thomas " age 19yrs " Slater
Florence " age 17yrs " Press Girl
George " age 12yrs
Adeline " age 10yrs
Albert " age 5yrs
William " age 3yrs

1901 at 73 Gleave (Cleave?) Road Northfield (Worcestershire)
George Towner age 50yrs occupation Toolmaker.
Louisa " age 50yrs
Ada " age 20yrs " Press worker
Henry " age 18yrs " Steel Roller.
Albert " age 15yrs
William " age 13yrs
Leah " age10yrs
Gertrude " age 5yrs

There is a family tree on Ancestry

hi rowan yes i found that family as well...would think they are the correct ones as the marriage cert gives the address of brass st which is the same address given on the 1881 census also an observation that on the 1881 census there are 3 children...all born before louisa and george married...

lyn

Hi Brum51,
Are these your rellies?

1881 at 2 Court 7House Brass street.
George Towner age 24yrs. occupation; Striker Blacksmith.
Louisa " age 28yrs. " Japanner
Thomas " age 11yrs. Scholar
Florence " age 6yrs
George " age 2yrs.
All of them born Birmingham.

1891 at 8 Prospect Place.
George Towner age 37yrs occupation Gas Fitter
Louisa " age 40yrs
Thomas " age 19yrs " Slater
Florence " age 17yrs " Press Girl
George " age 12yrs
Adeline " age 10yrs
Albert " age 5yrs
William " age 3yrs

1901 at 73 Gleave (Cleave?) Road Northfield (Worcestershire)
George Towner age 50yrs occupation Toolmaker.
Louisa " age 50yrs
Ada " age 20yrs " Press worker
Henry " age 18yrs " Steel Roller.
Albert " age 15yrs
William " age 13yrs
Leah " age10yrs
Gertrude " age 5yrs

There is a family tree on Ancestry
Yes this the family, I do not know anything about louisa prior to her birth in aprox 1850 and her son Thomas Holland born aproxx 1871 with no father on birth certificate. I am not subscribe to Ancestry.

Brum 51

There is a Louisa Baines born 1852 in Grantham, ? (Leicestershire) living at 67 Curzon Street, Aston with her parents John and Mary in 1861. She was baptised on 21 July 1852 at the Parish Church Grantham, Lincoln.

Last edited:
Sometimes unmarried mothers would give their child the surname of the natural father as a second name and I’m not casting stones here but there is a “Holland” family living at 7 back of 48 St Georges Street in 1871; probably just a happy coincidence.

The census was taken on the 2nd April 1871 and Thomas Holland was born on 12 July 1871 at 15 Court, Saint Georges Street.

Seems more than a coincidence, if not one of them a relative maybe.

Louisa's eldest daughter appears to be registered as Florence Louisa Holland (Bham, Jun 1874) and I wonder, as she is listed as Holland and not Baines, if the father's name would be listed on her birth certificate.

Working on the theory that Louisa Baines and Mr Holland had a relationship because they appear to have had more than one child together, I was looking at deaths in Birmingham between 1873 (the conception of Florence) and 1876 (the conception of Louisa's first Towner child) of Hollands of a reasonable age.

There are five listed - Samuel, Jun 1873 aged 57 - Walter, Jun 1874 aged 35 - Robert, Sep 1874 - Henry, Sep 1875 aged 42 - Joseph, Dec 1875 aged 58.

Of these it appears in 1871 Walter is in an institution of some type, Robert is living with his wife who is 14 years older than him and Henry is married but is in his mother's house in St George parish (his wife is in her mother's house). Henry's father was called Thomas as well, however it appears he had further children with his wife after 1871.

Just speculation.

Back