• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bailey family of Lower Heath

Kirk Bailey

Hello my name is Kirk Leslie Bailey. I am Canadian born Toronto, Canada 1941. My father John Leslie Bailey was born September 30, 1910 in a place he called Lower Heath in England. My grandfather was Jack Bailey. My father's family have all passed so I have no one to ask. My Grandfather Jack I'm told worked in the Birmingham Carriage Works and was due to be the next foreman. The Works Manager said "Sorry Jack, you are going to have to wait, my son is getting that job". My grandfather Jack Bailey and his wife (my grandmother Edith Mary Hadley Bailey) packed up their family and immigrated to Canada in 1911 when my father was 1 year old and settled in London, Ontario. I would be greatful for any information anyone could provide about The Birmingham Carriage Works or Lower Heath. The Internet tells me very little. Much appreciated. Thanks very much.

The 1911 census lists Ediith's and the children's birth place as Small Heath so I assume that would be your Lower Heath. Jack (John James) birth is Saltley which is not far from Small Heath.

Living in Tilton Road in 1911 which is in Small Heath, the home end of St Andrew's, ground of Bham City.

Last edited:
Would the Saltley/Small Heath locations suggest he more likely worked at the Metropolitan Carriage works?

Back