• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bagot arms

roger a

master brummie
:)heres a picture of the Bagot Arms theres a letter missing off the sign.

Attachments

• Bagot .jpg
    Bagot .jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 85
Frothy Pete and one of the lads went in last year and fealt distinctly ill at ease and drank up sharply. Bye. Jean.

I played for the Bagot crown green bowling team up until about four years ago, no team there now, the green is overgrown and the pavilion is rotting away. I only live five minutes away from it but I wouldn't fancy going in there now.

Brian

I played for the Bagot crown green bowling team up until about four years ago, no team there now, the green is overgrown and the pavilion is rotting away. I only live five minutes away from it but I wouldn't fancy going in there now.

Brian
its a shame all our british customs and hobbies are being wittled away bit by bit and we just let it happen.At one time a pub would love to have a dart team or a bowling team or even angling team,but now if it dont make money they dont want to know its a crying shame the young will never know about these customs and passtimes.

Lovely photo Coopbill7 good old days. Roger these games still go on where we have the caravan and only the other day at the Cat and Fiddle Pete was ask to ressurect the fishing team he was a member of many years ago. I think if these pubs started teams up again it would give people a bit of enthusiasm to use them again. Jean.

hi gg wheres the cat and fiddle?:rolleyes:but you are right if they started teams again they will make money on the nights the team has to play at home and with angling teams when they have presation nights and meetings.

(This thread came up on a Google search not a forum search).

The Bagot Arms seen behind hoardings near Pype Hayes Park and Tyburn. Apparently it will become a Bar & Grill soon.

From Chester Road.

From Tyburn Road.

(This thread came up on a Google search not a forum search).

The Bagot Arms seen behind hoardings near Pype Hayes Park and Tyburn. Apparently it will become a Bar & Grill soon.

From Chester Road.

From Tyburn Road.

Remember when a Birmingham Mail seller would work in the evening from the central reservation in the third picture. He would sell to the drivers of the cars held up at the junction, nimbly moving from car to car. Must have been 1980's I guess.

Hi all my best mate Colin Hunt [rip] use to drink in there , manly for some company , not a bad pub back in the day but nowadays i think it is far too big its seen better days. Raz

My family used to own the bagot many years ago! I wasn’t born then but I would love to see if any of you recognise these!? If you have any storeys or photos to share I would love to hear them!

Attachments

• 727B7220-E6C9-4D0C-97A0-D102F61D66A8.jpeg
    727B7220-E6C9-4D0C-97A0-D102F61D66A8.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 50AD59F3-58FD-491F-9A51-E7FD90F39688.jpeg
    50AD59F3-58FD-491F-9A51-E7FD90F39688.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 58
It looks exactly the same as in the photographs posted last year - January 2019. It would appear work has not been started.

William.

Not only has work not started on a Bar & Grill, the building is clearly been 'got at' by "ne'er-do-wells" (many, many broken windows). I fear this may yet end up in flames and become another block of flats or care home.

In the mid Sixties there used to a gang of Rockers and Bikers and we would meet up on the car park of the Bagot and sit on the walls it was with a sad heart that I saw the pictures of the Bagot on fire I grew up in Pype Hayes and The Bagot does have a history and my father was Secretary of the fishing club for a couple of years and between The Norton Pub and the Bagot there were a lot of fishermen in the area in the Sixties and Seventies....When I was little My mother and Father use to take me up to the Bagot and sit me in the passageway while they went in the old assembly room for a drink and I would be fed Crisps and bottles of Vimto and I was very safe there as everybody knew everybody else in the area....When I was growing up we dare not get into any trouble because being a tight community our parents would know before we got home.

A few photos from inside the Bagot before the fire, in amongst three other abandoned pubs. the Bagot is the second one

A few photos from inside the Bagot before the fire, in amongst three other abandoned pubs. the Bagot is the second one

Sad to see the demise of what once were apparently thriving gathering places!

Remember when a Birmingham Mail seller would work in the evening from the central reservation in the third picture. He would sell to the drivers of the cars held up at the junction, nimbly moving from car to car. Must have been 1980's I guess.
Hi,
Im new to this site but i was raiswd in pype hayes and still live locally.. the Bagot was one of my frequent Haunts in my teens and twentys so its very sad to see its current state.have many great memories of the locals and staff who worked there through the 70s and 80s
Most of whom are no longer with us.

Hi,
Im new to this site but i was raiswd in pype hayes and still live locally.. the Bagot was one of my frequent Haunts in my teens and twentys so its very sad to see its current state.have many great memories of the locals and staff who worked there through the 70s and 80s
Most of whom are no longer with us.
Dicky, welcome to the Forum! A great place and folks with lots of super information and memories! Enjoy….

Went to Pope Hayes park as I got into my early teens, a little far for me when Handsworth Park was so close.

I wonder if anyone can help clarify the following regarding The Baggot Arms Pub Pype Hayes? At a recent family gathering my mother aged 90 claimed that during the early-mid 1960s that she used to take my sisters and I up to the Baggot Arms and that there was a garden area at the back?As neither I or my sisters have any recollection of this could anyone please confirm if there was indeed a garden during that period?Thanks

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Most of the larger pubs had substantial gardens, some with bowling green too. The Golden Cross even had a market garden. She may be correct as I am sure the Baggot had land on Eachillhurst Road

before the fire

Back