• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BAGNALL, Ralph R.

theodore

master brummie
Any information on Ralph R. Bagnall (born Oldbury 1885?) please. Not much to go with I'm sorry to say but hope someone can help.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,
Found one on 1901 census, when your Ralph was 16, if you think this is the correct one let me know and I will go back further for you.
Father - Ralph Bagnall age 41 b Derbyshire - milk dairyman own account (his own business)
Mother Sabrina Bagnall age 33 b Staffs ? Harborne
Ralph b Oldbury age 16 Bricklayer
Edgar H age 15 occ Fitter
Dinah E age 10 scholar
Dorothy M age 9
Charles H age 7
Francis P age 5
Walter V age 2
Fred V age 7months
living at 60, Edward Street, Oldbury
Ecclesiastical Parish St Michaels and All Angels
West Bromwich, sub district Oldbury

Sue

Ralph reginald P Bagnall born to Ralph waller Bagnall and Sabina Pearson who married West Bromwich 1883

Ralph reginald P Bagnall married Florence G Haughton in 1911 West Bromwich.
Children
Sabina L in 1912
Joseph 1921
George 1923.
perhaps the gap between 1st and 2nd was due to Ralph being away at War.

Hi Sue and Alberta,

Thank you both for your replies regarding Ralph Bagnall.

Sue,

This is the correct family on the 1901 census, have just confirmed this with newspaper reports for Ralph being wounded in 1915 and 1916. He served in the 2nd Battalion Worcesters but his service papers must have been destroyed in the biltz ((can only find his MIC on Ancestry).

Alberta,

You are right thinking that the gap on the births could be from Ralph serving in the Army (details as as above). Not sure when he enlisted but his service number would indicate sometime around 1902/3 (would have been about 18 at this time). If he was a regular soldier then he would have been recalled to the colours on the outbreak of war in August 1914. Still waiting on Ancestry for the 1911 census (the summary books are a complete waste of time for my needs).

Regards

Peter

Back