• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bagley family

loisand

master brummie
I wonder if someone would be so kind and try and help me with this family, that seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth, perhaps they have done.....
Here goes...
William Bagley was born 1821 Hereford, he married Harriet Downer in 1846 in Hereford, they had 6 children from 1847-1860, there last known census was 1861 which they resided in Birmingham, I have tried the 1880 census to no avail, perhaps lots more pairs of eyes are better then my one pair.
Thankyou in advance :)

A William Bagley died in Poplar 1878 September qtr age 55.

Harriet who on the 1871/1881 says born Isle of wight is living with sister Ann and brother in law George Jackson in Essex in 1881 along with 15 year old Eliza.

On the 1871 at an address a couple of doors away from your William is a Willam Bagley age 21 b. Hereford with his wife.

Hi Alberta and Mike, thankyou so much for that , is there any chance you can put the details up for me please, Alberta Harriet was born Isle of Wight so it's the right one, once again thankyou both xx

Hi Loisand :wave:

I, too, am researching Bagleys, although mine go back to William Bagley born Birmingham 1809-12.

I've found many of mine have been mis-transcribed, and I've eventually found them listed as BAYLEY. It always helps to look for any possible alternative spellings when someone has 'gone missing'.

Here you go, 1871 --

Name:William Bagley
Estimated birth year:abt 1828
Relation:Head
Spouse's name:Harriet
Mother's Name:Elizabeth
Where born: Eaton Bishop, Herefordshire, England
Civil parish: Poplar
Ecclesiastical parish: Poplar All Saints
Town:Tower Hamlets
County/Island: London
Registration district: Poplar
Sub-registration district: Poplar
ED, institution, or vessel:21
Household schedule number:7
Household Members:NameAge
William Bagley
43 (48) Boat Maker
Harriet Bagley
49 I.O.W
Edward A Bagley
13 Bir'm
Eliza Bagley
5 Bromley Mid'x
Elizabeth Daunn
94 (84) Mother (Downer) I.O.W
Robert Young
42 Visitor
Elizabeth Young
38 "

bren

Thankyou seabird for that info
Thankyou Bren, no I hadn't got 1871, and now I've got Harriets mother and birth date....thankyou xx

hello Loisand, this may not be of too much interest, but, when i worked at Newman -Tonks in about 1973, my gaffer's name was Mr Bagley.

shardeen

Hello Lois,

I worked for a typewriter company called Wilfrid Dunn Ltd in the 1980's. The managers
name was John Bagley, and I believe he lived in Kidderminster.

Kind regards

Dave

bagley.Jpg
View attachment 52312
Back right (by the balloon): Duncan Bagley born about 1941, lived in Eden Place, Guildford Street. Cousin was John Wells (Not in picture). The photo was taken about 1956

Last edited:
Blimey! we Bagleys get everywhere don't we?

Seabird (born a Bagley)

I'm also looking into the 'Bagley Family' for a friend... Ernest born around 1911/12 is where I'm stuck right now... I know he married Hilda Arthur in 1934 and they had a son Kenneth who married here in NZ. I have managed to find Hilda's 'Arthur Family' and the family of Hilda's mother...These families came from around Northhampton, Kettering, Bedford, Rugby and Lutterworth.
I have no idea who Ernest's parents were, or if he would be on the 1911 census and feel the only way forward will be to get Ernest's marriage cert', however after reading this thread thought there may be a chance that one of you might be connected to 'This Bagley' family and could add some more info'... Here's hoping :)

That's interesting Pom.

I can trace mine back to William Bagley (brassfounder) born Birmingham 1809/12, but family legend always spoke of ancestors who were bellfounders. I've found these bellfounders, and they were based in Northants. Henry Bagley born c1608 in Chacombe, and later on the foundry moved to Ecton in Northants where a later Henry Bagley formed a partnership with blacksmith Thomas Franklin whose nephew Benjamin Franklin was to find fame in America.
I dare say your friend is descended from the bellfounders of Northants.

This is an interesting piece:
https://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924017579099#page/n265/mode/2up

The latest of that line I can find is Matthew Bagley who died in Evesham around 1790 - I'm still searching for the link to ours.

.Thanx Seabird I'll look in to that information...
I also found out that Kenneth had a sister Margrate, so if anyones Bagley family had: Aunt Hilda and Uncle Ernest with cousins Kenneth and Margrate who went ot NZ this could be them....

I was wondering if someone would look at this entry on 'The Passenger Lists' on Find My Past and I.M me all the details shown please...?
E BAGULEY Born 1911 Male 1937 Southampton - New Zealand Auckland
I am hoping that there is a Ernest, Hilda, Kenneth and Margaret all travelling together to NZ although they may only have their initials and not the names... seems this family often changed the spellings of their names : Arthur and Arthurs, Bagley and Baguley...
Thanx in advance...:)

Hi, I discovered your post while carrying out a Google search. Ernest and Hilda Bagley are my paternal grand parents. I’m currently looking into the family history and like post, I too are struggling to find any family past Ernest and Hilda. I know your post was a long time ago, but did you have any luck finding information? Regards Rick Bagley

Back