• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

RIP Astonian (Alan)

I’ve had the pleasure (as I'm sure many other BHF members have) of exchanging many posts & anecdotes with him a very passionate & knowledgeable man.
Lozellian.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear the sad news regarding Alan. Always found his stories and personal local knowlege interesting. My thoughts are with his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will miss Alan and his knowledge. He has given us so much information over the years.
rosie.

I'm sorry to hear about Astonian. I've never met him but, I always enjoyed reading his posts which had a wealth of his memories of Birmingham and especially Aston.

Alans words as he was in hospital was "I have been given my death sentence" and he wanted to be at home with family who love him..

Admin note. We are currently unsure of Alan’s situation, so we are checking this. Meanwhile I’m sure members will understand if their posts are slightly edited, until we are clear about Alan’s position. Thank you for your patience. Viv.
Hello Vivienne14,

It would appear that I along with several other BHF members have potentially been confused re: the situation with Alan (Astonian).

Lozellian.

I was also unsure with regards to Alan's condition, but as the old saying has it, "Where there's life, there's hope". I did meet him once, when he came with his son to our house to carry out some small maintenance jobs. But as soon as he saw my guitars, work went out of the window and we spent a hot, sunny afternoon guzzling tea and chewing the fat about music in the 'old days'. Most definitely, quite a character.

Thoughts go out to him and his family.

G

Here is the latest news on alan.
Hi Jim Tess just sent this message.

Thank you Jean, hate to say it but i think he begining to slip away from me, at the moment he is waking only for 10- 15 minutes at a time , i feel so powerless, we have been married for 45 years, always together, when lived very close as kids was born in Clarke Street Ladywood,. ask members to keep him in their thought and prayers, he is such a wealth of knowledge and memories, Thank you for thinking of my lovely Alan.xx
WqBwhltcB45R8so8AkmUxMw-YH_H1V7DKXoQMJbXYIZPTYRJWo7UaMQGqzxyjmMFFMcSP_pdur0hIJkM1qCl9ObAgNPQAKqdQVrdjdcA3v9cZWGqrBrx=s0-d-e1-ft
WqBwhltcB45R8so8AkmUxMw-YH_H1V7DKXoQMJbXYIZPTYRJWo7UaMQGqzxyjmMFFMcSP_pdur0hIJkM1qCl9ObAgNPQAKqdQVrdjdcA3v9cZWGqrBrx=s0-d-e1-ft
If any members are on Facebook that is where they can leave a personal message that will get through to Tess. Alan Stevens with a lovely photo of him on there.
Bye.

Attachments

• ALAN.png
    ALAN.png
    701.1 KB · Views: 71
So very sorry to hear the news about Alan, I always enjoyed his interesting posts ranging over so many subjects and areas of Birmingham. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he came to collect some old Brum (Carl Chinn) magazines. Tess my thoughts are with you both at this very sad time.

Great news to see that GG Jean is back, such a shame she bought us such sad news, Alan is a tough un, and I wish him well in this battle.

Tess, i am truly sorry to hear this terrible news about Alan. I messaged him yesterday to tell him i hadn't been on the site for quite a while therefore not been in touch with him. As he may have told you, i worked in the Forge at Tubes Ltd, some of the same time Alan did his crane work. Up until my not being on the site for a while,Alan and i passed many messages, and memories between us. He is a gem of a man, who never holds back with any information or facts that other members require. I am truly sorry for this to be happening to him, and please pass on my love and thoughts to him. We are Tubes men Alan, workers and friends and always will be. Bless you. Barry.

Here is the latest news on alan.
Hi Jim Tess just sent this message.

Thank you Jean, hate to say it but i think he begining to slip away from me, at the moment he is waking only for 10- 15 minutes at a time , i feel so powerless, we have been married for 45 years, always together, when lived very close as kids was born in Clarke Street Ladywood,. ask members to keep him in their thought and prayers, he is such a wealth of knowledge and memories, Thank you for thinking of my lovely Alan.xx
If any members are on Facebook that is where they can leave a personal message that will get through to Tess. Alan Stevens with a lovely photo of him on there.
Bye.
Its not possible to leave a message on Facebook !

Back