• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bacons End farm

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Now. Chester Rd, Bacons End farm, Kingshurst. Google view. Then, Chester Rd, Bacons End farm 1890's.

Terry

Wow! I saw a litter of piglets being born as I walked past Bacon's End Farm about 1963. The sow had rolled over and squashed a couple of piglets and I didn't know what to do (was only about 11). Now I am a farmer's wife and know this is a regular occurrence. A couple of years later I went horse riding across the road, my horse was called Domino and I loved him. Used to spend all my pocket money for one hour's riding. Anne

Wow Ann I wonder if thats what got you into farming. I loved horse riding but sadly didn't do it long as it was expencive in the 60's.

Hello Wendy, aftyer 30 years when No 1 cleared off with someone he met on the internet, in Australia, I met my Ray who is the love of my life and I wouldn't change him for the world. It is certainly a very different life from a council flat in Kingshurst but I loved those Saturdays at Bacon's End. Albrerta moved into our flat when we moved out, good to know it passedf on to good hands. I have some lovely photos of our piglets but am struggling to download them. Have to wait for my Grandkids to visit. Sad isn't it? Anne

Lovely photos Terry.

I lived in The flat in Kingshurst after Annes family moved out now live in Bacons End just over the brow of that hill.

Many people believe it was called Bacons End because of the pig farm but in reality it was because centuries ago the land was
owned by 2 brothers John and Henry Bacon.
Deep in my files I have the historical facts I will dig them out.

Back