• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Backing Up Data Files.

GER22VAN

master brummie
I think I need to reload my Windows software.
Before I do this I need to backup all my data files.
Is this easy to do for someone who has no knowledge about about it ?
I have my Dell software disc.
I forgot to mention Windows X P .

Hi Ernie,
Just found this after replying to your other query. Backing up can be fairly simple if you know how to copy files to a CD, DVD, Memory stick or other removable media. Which is the best to use depends on how much data you've got to back up. If you can give us some idea we might be able to suggest which is the best media to use and guide you through it. First of all though it's important to make sure you have the original installation discs for your programs.

Thank You Oisin. Sounds daft but not sure what to back up. I have my ext Drive, Do I need to do anything with that ? I am assuming that others I would need to save to CD DVD or Memory Stick as you say. As for Files I am not Sure where to find them.

Ernie,
If you've got an external drive that's idea to back up to. The files you need to back up are usually My Documents, which should contain all your pictures and all the things you've written and saved. In short. what I would do is select the "My Documents" folder on your PC Right click it, select "Copy" then go to your external drive, right click it and select "Paste" and that's that done. You should find "My Documents" by clicking "Start" then "My Documents". You should then get something that looks like this...
View attachment 53538

Then click where I've done the red circle and you should get something like this...
View attachment 53539

If you select what I've circled that is what you want to save.

Just have a try and let us know how you get on.

Mornin' Ernie,

Just thought of two more things you might need to backup: your emails and Internet Explorer Favourites.

To backup your emai...
download, install and run this program: https://www.amictools.com/v-amic_email_backup.html After running it you should be left with a copy of all your emails and address book ready to save on your external drive.

To backup your Favorites follow these instructions...
Click on the File menu (in Internet Explorer 7 click the Add To Favorites button) then click Import and Export. You should see a window welcoming you to the Import and Export Wizard. Click Next, then select Export Favorites. Leave the main folder selected on the Export Favorites Source Folder screen and click Next.
Make sure Export to a File or Address is selected, then Browse to a location on your hard drive where you wish to store a copy of your Favorites list. Type a name for your backup, for example MyFavorites and click Save. Click Next, then Finish and a window should tell you the export was successful.
The Favorites backup file is saved as a web page file and it can also be opened in your browser like a normal web page by double-clicking it. It will appear as a simple-looking web page containing your Favorites links.
This is now ready to be copied to your external drive with your other backups.

Hi Oisin. On post 4, I followed your instructions until I right click ext hard drive but I do not get paste.
Not sure were I have gone wrong.

I can get a window open called “ Desktop”
At the top of a list is “ My Documents”
At the side of the window is “ File And Folder Tasks”
Where there is “ Copy This Folder “
A small window appears “ Copy Items “
Where I can select “ Expansion Drive E “

After that I am lost, not sure if I select “ New Folder “
Or whatever else I need to do.

Is this another way to do it ???

Mornin' Ernie,

Seems you got where you needed to be easier than I told you. I'm not sure about using "File and Folder Tasks" so can only explain how I would do it. I would simple right click "My Documents" then double click "My Computer", identify your external drive, right click it and select "Paste". A copy of your "My Documents" should then be dropped into it.

Back