• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Back In Time For The Corner Shop (BBC)

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Anyone watching this? It's the usual structure, a family travels through time, on this occasion running a corner shop in Sheffield.

I don't think we really had a corner shop, though perhaps I just can't remember.

Yes Lyn. Episode 2 aired this week but is repeated on Sunday BBC 2 at 4.50pm for 1hr. Enjoyed 1st episode set during early 1900s - covered WW1 and up to about 1920.

Last edited:
It's very interesting, my great grandparents had a little shop in Grove Lane Smethwick, the family lived above. My mother helped make the ice-cream in the same way they did on the show but people brought a bowl for it.
rosie.

It must have taken for ever to make ice cream! I didn't realise (though probably should have) that there was training available in the 1920s for people running shops.

I found the first episode really useful as we have been looking at a 'corner shop' in Boldmere which opened in the late 1800's so the date coincided. The Boldmere shop is now a pub and we have been trying to find out when it was licenced. The TV shop keeper had applied for a beer licence and served this in his grocer's shop so this may have happened in Boldmere. I'll have to watch the next episode on i-player as I missed it.

Back