• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Back In Time For The Corner Shop (BBC)

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Anyone watching this? It's the usual structure, a family travels through time, on this occasion running a corner shop in Sheffield.

I don't think we really had a corner shop, though perhaps I just can't remember.

Yes Lyn. Episode 2 aired this week but is repeated on Sunday BBC 2 at 4.50pm for 1hr. Enjoyed 1st episode set during early 1900s - covered WW1 and up to about 1920.

Last edited:
It's very interesting, my great grandparents had a little shop in Grove Lane Smethwick, the family lived above. My mother helped make the ice-cream in the same way they did on the show but people brought a bowl for it.
rosie.

It must have taken for ever to make ice cream! I didn't realise (though probably should have) that there was training available in the 1920s for people running shops.

I found the first episode really useful as we have been looking at a 'corner shop' in Boldmere which opened in the late 1800's so the date coincided. The Boldmere shop is now a pub and we have been trying to find out when it was licenced. The TV shop keeper had applied for a beer licence and served this in his grocer's shop so this may have happened in Boldmere. I'll have to watch the next episode on i-player as I missed it.

Back