• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Back In Time For Tea, Bbc2

forgot to say that our house was built about 1860 so no chance of running hot water:D...we managed though...

lyn

Have just watched the second episode. I'm not convinced that they really altered the house. I think they built an equivalent in the studio. That is why I don't think you ever see a view out of windows or anything upstairs, as they only built the rooms downstairs. To be fair I think it would be a big job to change the kitchen to have a full coal-fuelled range as there was in the first episode.
Also think the statement that fish were not available a bit iffy. Fish supply did reduce during the war, but it was never put on ration and by the time
of this episode (1947) fish production was above pre war levels (https://www.whpress.co.uk/GE/Articles/Holm.pdf) .
Was also a bit surprised that the dad said dripping on toast did not have any taste. I can understand some (NOT me) might not like the taste, but if it was real dripping then to say it had no taste is ridiculous

Ah, that makes sense Mike. Otherwise it would be double expenditure wouldn't it if they knocked it down and re-built it? I didn't watch last night's programme but their original kitchen was very posh as I recall. Would they really do that to the garden too? I don't think so.

What they called 'dirty' dripping was what we called 'jelly dripping'. I don't eat meat now but it's one of my memorable tastes of childhood. That, along with a 'dip' in the roasting tin on the rare occasion we had beef. Mom used to get cross when I nagged for this and say 'there won't be any taste in the gravy the way your're going!'

Again, as far as hot water was concerned, we were very lucky in that the pre-fab had a back boiler for the winter and immersion for the summer. Hot water was rationed out though as it was shilling-in-the-slot and quite expensive.

Ah, that makes sense Mike. Otherwise it would be double expenditure wouldn't it if they knocked it down and re-built it? I didn't watch last night's programme but their original kitchen was very posh as I recall. Would they really do that to the garden too? I don't think so.

What they called 'dirty' dripping was what we called 'jelly dripping'. I don't eat meat now but it's one of my memorable tastes of childhood. That, along with a 'dip' in the roasting tin on the rare occasion we had beef. Mom used to get cross when I nagged for this and say 'there won't be any taste in the gravy the way your're going!'

Again, as far as hot water was concerned, we were very lucky in that the pre-fab had a back boiler for the winter and immersion for the summer. Hot water was rationed out though as it was shilling-in-the-slot and quite expensive.
My grandmother at Harborne made beautiful dripping and we loved it on toast, but the biggest treat was dippy bread, a piece of bread dipped in the juices from the joint. We had to drink a cup of cabbage water, good for your spots, first. It was always worth it.
Bob

In the third programme I found myself trying to recognise the songs, and missed much of what was said. Here is what I picked up, can you name the artists without looking them up?

1…Poor Me
2…Nine Times out of Ten
3…By the Light of the Silvery Moon?
4…Tower of Strength
5…Halfway to Paradise
6…Hundred pounds of Clay
7…Some other Guy
8…Bobby’s Girl
9…She’ll Never Love you Like I Do
10..Let’s Talk about Love
11..Sweets for my Sweet
12..Mary had a Little Lamb?
13..Sha La La
14..Its not Unusual
15..I’m Into Something Good
16..Substitute
17..Love’s just a Broken Heart
18..Green Green Grass of Home
19..Mellow Yellow
20..Everlasting Love
21..Delilah
22..Something in the Air

(Disclaimer…this list may not be extensive or correct!)

Last edited:
14..18 and 21 the great sir tom jones...20 a favourite of mine love affair....will let others have a go

Last edited:
11..Sweets for my Sweet – The Searchers

13..Sha La La – The Small Faces

14..Its not Unusual – Tom Jones

15..I’m Into Something Good – Hermans Hermits

18..Green Green Grass of Home – Tom Jones

19..Mellow Yellow – Donavan

20..Everlasting Love – The Love Affair

21..Delilah – Tom Jone

22..Something in the Air – Thunder Clap Newman (classic)

11..Sweets for my Sweet – The Searchers

13..Sha La La – The Small Faces

14..Its not Unusual – Tom Jones

15..I’m Into Something Good – Hermans Hermits

18..Green Green Grass of Home – Tom Jones

19..Mellow Yellow – Donavan

20..Everlasting Love – The Love Affair

21..Delilah – Tom Jone

22..Something in the Air – Thunder Clap Newman (classic)

Unlucky on number 13! I would have gone for The Small Faces by the title, but hearing it first I had to google it to find.

Pedrocutmaster brummie
In the third programme I found myself trying to recognise the songs, and missed much of what was said. Here is what I picked up, can you name the artists without looking them up?

1…Poor Me ___ adam faith
2…Nine Times out of Ten
3…By the Light of the Silvery Moon?
4…Tower of Strength --- eden kane ?
5…Halfway to Paradise ___ billy fury
6…Hundred pounds of Clay --- guy Mitchell?
7…Some other Guy
8…Bobby’s Girl ___ susan maugn (spelling?)
9…She’ll Never Love yo Like I Do
11..Sweets for my Sweet
12..Mary had a Little Lamb?
13..Sha La La
14..Its not Unusual
15..I’m Into Something Good
16..Substitute
18..Green Green Grass of Home
19..Mellow Yellow ___ donavon
20..Everlasting Love
21..Delilah
22..Something in the Air

funny thing is I remember the words to all these songs,and I know the singers,I just can't recall their names.............Mal

I got 16 without any checking. The ones I got not already mentioned.
1. Poor Me Adam Fath
3. By the light of the silvery moon Wasn't that Al Jolson, Did Flanagan and Allen also record this.
4. Tower of strength Frankie Vaughan My Mum liked that one. It was also a top 10 hit for someone else, was it Johnny Ray.
5. Halfway to Paradise The great Billy Fury.
8. Bobbies Girl Susan Maughan.
12. Mary had a little lamb. Paul Mcartney. Not one of his best.
13. Is actually titled Sha la la la lee.
16. Substitute The Who Seen them live 5 times including Mothers club Erdington in 1968.
21. Delilah Also by the The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Saw them at Stoke Football ground around 1977.

song no 7 some other guy is a rock "standard" recorded by many artists,including the beatles,tom jones, the searchers and any number of artists.I saw the searchers in chester at the riverpark ballroom { don't be misled by the name,it was a converted pub)when they announced they had just released sweets for my sweet.They had been regular performers in the nw area,but they made their name with that record,and went on to bigger things.....................Mal

Yes no 4 was the most popular version by Frankie Vaughan, and my mum also liked him!

Number 13 is interesting as Sha la la la lee would be the Small Faces, but the lee is missing!

I'm not sure about 3, so will find the position in the programme.

song no 7 some other guy is a rock "standard" recorded by many artists,including the beatles,tom jones, the searchers and any number of artists.I saw the searchers in chester at the riverpark ballroom { don't be misled by the name,it was a converted pub)when they announced they had just released sweets for my sweet.They had been regular performers in the nw area,but they made their name with that record,and went on to bigger things.....................Mal

Will find the position on the programme.

just found this post on another forum....should be good

We make BBC2's series Back in Time for Tea, currently on Tuesday evenings at 8pm. We're looking for West Midlands participants for our next exciting time travelling adventure: Back in Time for School.
We'll be filming in the Birmingham/Coventry area in school holidays this year... living for real the school lessons, uniforms, trips and dinners of yesteryear. Our intrepid class will experience school life from the 1890s to the 1990s - and undoubtedly learn a lot along the way!
If you're a teacher, or parent/guardian of a teenager currently in Year 9 or Year 10, and you would like to find out more about how to apply, please visit walltowall.co.uk and click on Take Part.
Thank you, and good luck!

To be genuinely real ( and I am very dubious, particularly after this series on now) the pupils would have to be caned, have to use an outside toilet and WALK to school

To be genuinely real ( and I am very dubious, particularly after this series on now) the pupils would have to be caned, have to use an outside toilet and WALK to school

somehow mike dont think it will be that realistic:D

3...By the Light of the Silvery Moon starts around 12.25

7...Some other Guy starts around 26.43

The others that have not been named...
2…Nine Times out of Ten
9…She’ll Never Love you Like I Do

And of course Unlucky for Some No 13. Sha La La.

There seemed a lot of Tom Jones! Glad they included Donovan.
There was an article in the Waitrose weekly paper about the programme, which said that the mother had been quite ill at one point from eating a lot of bread. She doesn't usually eat white flour, apparently, and in the earlier programmes there was an awful lot of bread. They thought, it said, that they would have to call an ambulance as she was doubled up in pain, but she recovered. Whether that was an exaggeration of what actually happened, I don't know.

Back