• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Baby Competition Birmingham Gazette 1926

mbenne

master brummie
My Uncle, Maurice, passed away recently but would have been 94 this year. I inherited a lot of paperwork and family photos from my Dad and came across the letter below. It appears my uncles picture appeared in the Birmingham Gazette. The attached picture is the one that seems to have been associated with it although there are several others that could have been used. I have no idea whether this is the one that would have appeared in the paper or where it may have been taken. Based on where they lived at the time it could have been Handsworth Park - but thats all speculation assuming I have the right photo!. Can anyone help locate the article/picture? And am curious as to who won the prizes!

I have no idea how about his blonde curls as in later life he had black wavy hair and a beard lol
Letter.JPG

Attachments

• P1.JPG
    P1.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 24
The winners appear to be announced early September. The Birmingham Daily Gazette is available on findmypast. When you search you can see a summary for several articles but you need a subscription to see the them.

The article referred to on 27th is attached. not that photo, though I reckon the top left photo might be the same baby
Birm Gazette 27.8.1926.jpg

great find mike i agree top left baby is the same one as shown on post 1

lyn

I really appreciate your help on this. I would have agreed with you on top left but its actually top right as I can just make out his name and the location, Handsworth - age 2 years 8 months
I digitised some of my Dads older photos and although the newspaper image isn't very clear I was able to match it with the one below - so the photo my Dad had picked out was incorrect!

Mos.JPG

I think my Nan must have had more than one attempt at this as I found an earlier one, he is a lot younger than he is here and also naked - I will allow him some modesty and avoid posting that one lol
ps does the paper announce the winner in a later edition?
Thank you.

I have a photo of my late older brother entered in a similar competition, I thought it was the Birmingham Mail but I might be wrong, he was born in Dec 1932 and is posed in the back garden at Hurlingham Road, probably only a few months old, maybe spring 1933

Back