• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

B.S.A Dive bombed in 1952 10 o'Clock in morning

Eddie 14

master brummie
B.S.A.Tools Kitts Green 1952 10 o'Clock on a Monday morning, the factory was 'shot up' by an aircraft from Castle Bromwich Aerodrome, one of the lads doing his N/S passed out as pilot and decided to pay a visit, I think the month was about March. It made news in the Bham mail on the night. He was 'dive bombing' the factory and the field on the corner of the Meadway and St Giles Rd
Anybody out there remember this happening.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
BernardR, as you can see by the date and the national serviceman and the Castle Bromwich airoport, it was a total mock raid and I wondered if anybody remembered it as I did as it was reported in the Bham mail how the children in Outmore Road school had been frightened by the very low flying aircraft which was being piloted by a young lad who had passed out as a pilot and came to show off his ability to fly an aircraft. I'm sorry if I have misled people as I thought someone in that Kitts Green area may have remembered it.

Dave

Last edited:
B.S.A.Tools Kitts Green 1952 10 o'Clock on a Monday morning, the factory was 'shot up' by an aircraft from Castle Bromwich Aerodrome
Dave
In 1952 the University of Birmingham Air Squadron would have been flying DeHavilland Chipmunks from Castle Bromwich, and after a few 'relocations' the UBAS is now based at RAF Cosford.
Maybe the B'Ham Mail or the UBAS may have some record of the event. I witnessed some aircraft events in late 1940s, one being a DH Rapide making a forced landing in Perry Barr park, and in 1949 during a lunch hour visit from Handsworth Tech to Handworth Park I watched a twin engine Mosquito do low level acrobatics over the park, seems amazing now but I did see it ! I also saw a F86 Sabre Jet break the sound barrier over Castle Bromwich airfield in 1952 and posted about it https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/castle-bromwich-aerodrome.21139/post-60118
I believe most fixed wing aircraft are not allowed to fly below 1000' over Brum these days, so no 'fun' to watch ......

Last edited:
Back