• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Avro Lancaster Nx611 Just Jane

I saw a timewatch programme recently about the dambusters that featured this aircraft. The programme actually went inside and showed the cockpit. Very interesting.

I spent 2 years on 82 (PR) Squadron, the last Lancaster Squadron in the RAF. It was on aerial survey duties for mapping purposes in Africa from 1946 t0 1953, I was with them from 1949 to 1951 as a Wireless Operator, a wonderful and reliable a/c to fly in. Have attached a pic I took in June 1950 at RAF Eastleigh in Nairobi. The 2nd a/c from the left is now the fully restored memorial flight Lanc 82 Sqdns Lancasters Nairobi 1950.JPG

82 Squadron Lancaster.JPG engine fitters Kano Nigeria.jpg couple more pics out my album, happy days ! (the magazine pi is from the RAF Review who were doing an article on the squadron. Eric

Last edited:
The Amberley Industrial museum in Sussex has (or had a few years ago) a mock up of the navigator section of a Lancaster with the equipment. Unfortunately I do not seem to have taken a photo of it

After flights on the air show circuit, NX611 had flown into Squires Gate, Blackpool in 1971 and in April 1972 was put up for auction as shown in the pic below. It did not reach it's reserve price and some time later it was removed to become the gate guardian at RAF Scampton.
Lanc. NX611 auction.jpg

That is a fantastic pic, shows how small a Lancaster was. How did men go up in them, risking being attacked, malfunctions etc.

Sheldontony, probably appears small compared to modern commercial jets, but it was considered quite large in its day, 76 foot long, wing span 102 feet and 22 feet high and quite roomy inside. Rather noisy, only to be expected with 4 RR Merlin's but I found it soothing after a while. The only malfunctions we experienced was the odd engine oil fire which looked quite dramatic but they would just switch that engine off and fly on the other 3, but on the whole they were extremely reliable Eric

Is your post in the wrong thread Astonian?
This thread is about the preservation of a British bomber and not bombing raids on the UK. There is another thread for that.

Hi viv
very sorry to have slipped up ,andthank you for telling me and moving to its correct slot , Astonian;;; Alan,,

If you get a chance to see that programme it is well worth it. On the raid the aircraft had to fly below 50 ft, amazing when you take into account the wingspan.

sheldontony, I was told the action shots for that film were taken on the Welsh reservoirs/dams (the name escapes me) that provide Birminghams water, very realistic. Eric

There were some excellent views of the actual dams, amazing how the aircraft managed to get in and out. Ono pilot was interviewed that had to return to base due to damage to his aircraft. Guy Gibson complained he had been flying too high at 100 feet.

This photo was taken at Blackbushe on 2 Sept 1967 showing Lancaster NX611 (G-ASXX) during a flying display.
LANCASTER_nx611.jpg

All volunteers !! with about 50 % chance of surviving their series of operations. I met a few who loved flying and remained in the RAF after the war but they would never talk about their wartime experiences.

Back