• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AVL 1918 for Solihull

A

adnilyug

Does anyone have access to or know where I can view the Absent voters list for 1918 in solihull area
I am trying to find Harry Bevan, could be Henry and Beavan he was born and lived in the solihull area, He moved to Yardley hastings before the war, but isn't registered on that AVL,
Just a thought that because of the nature of his job, Game Keeper, he would have had a tied cottage, so his family might have moved back to stay with family during his war years.

Alan Tucker

master brummie
First problem - there was no Solihull constituency in 1918 (created 1945) - it had a different name which I do not know. Birmingham Reference Library only holds AVL for Birmingham seats. The best bet is Warwickshire County Record Office

A

adnilyug

First problem - there was no Solihull constituency in 1918 (created 1945) - it had a different name which I do not know. Birmingham Reference Library only holds AVL for Birmingham seats. The best bet is Warwickshire County Record Office

Thanks for that info I will try the Warwickshire record office and see if I get any advice there
:headhit:

Alan Tucker

master brummie
Since discovered that in 1912 Solihull would have been in one of the four constituencies below...

Northern or Tamworth Division
Northeast or Nuneaton Division
Southeast or Rugby Division
Southwest or Stratford Division

I suspect the first one

carolina

master brummie
adnilyug, try googling Solihull Heritage, and contact themthey are really helpful. You never know they might find something for you

Alan Tucker

master brummie
Highly unlikely for Solihull to have anything - Absent Voters List are usually found in County Record offices or major urban central libraries like Birmingham Reference Library.

carolina

master brummie
Never mind it was worth a try of recommeding Solihull Heritage as they have been very good with information for me going back to early 1800s and I thought if the question was put onto their forum someone might have come back with an answer.

A

adnilyug

Never mind it was worth a try of recommeding Solihull Heritage as they have been very good with information for me going back to early 1800s and I thought if the question was put onto their forum someone might have come back with an answer.
:pThanks for that Carolina and Alan
I will try anything is worth ago and Birmingham referennce library like Alan suggested.

I have tried Warwickshire county records office but no answer as yet.

LuluSilhillian

Does anyone have access to or know where I can view the Absent voters list for 1918 in solihull area
I am trying to find Harry Bevan, could be Henry and Beavan he was born and lived in the solihull area, He moved to Yardley hastings before the war, but isn't registered on that AVL,
Just a thought that because of the nature of his job, Game Keeper, he would have had a tied cottage, so his family might have moved back to stay with family during his war years.

LuluSilhillian

Whoops sorry for that post. my bad. Harry Beavan is a relative by marriage in my family tree (Butlers) A fabulous book called "Damson By the Pound Memories of a Warwickshire Family by Stanley J Beavan is well worth a read. Included is a wonderful photo of Harry on the Elmdon Estate as a gamekeeper. I know this is not the answer to your request but thought you would be interested.
Happy hunting.