• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Avery Retired Employees Association

Hughes

master brummie
Sad to say that after some 25 years this club is closing down on 31 May.
We used to meet every 2 weeks at the old Neetlefolds sports ground in Thimble Mill Rd.
Age and illness have caught up with us.The present chairman can not continue and no
replacement is available.most of the members are aged 70 to 80 and above
Still it has been a pleasent experience many thanks to all
John Hughes

Hi john
Just read your thread about the old Avery,s Association closing down its a really shame
To hear of it way back in the 1960s I was employed by Avery's along side my uncle bill smart
Whom worked there for most of his life he got me a postion in the electro plating and Anodising department
I worked there for a very long time it was a great company to work for
John I moved to worcestershire many years ago ,can you tell me is Avery premises still there please
Best wishes Astonian,,,,

Hello Astonian
It is still on the same site very much reduced for manufacturing
It is now called Avery Weigh-Tronic a off shoot of the American company based in Minnesota USA
have a look on Google
I would have known Bill Smart having worked there for 46 years
in the early days I would take my brake shoes from my Austin Severn down to the de greasing vats to remove
the oil on my Brake shoes
Not to mention having a bit of plating done on orniments
Best Wishes
John Hughes

Hi john
Many thanks for your reply to my thread ,and yes it was nice to hear you would have known my uncle
Bill smart whom was very popular and well known through out the company all those years back
Sadly uncle bill moved from the area and went to live in king standing
Shortly after that moved his wife my aunty Maud died, and left bill on his own
And he died a sadly broken heart for the love of Maud
Best wishes Astonian,,,,

Gr8 memories of good old Averys. Apprentice there in 74. Worked there until 1986. Worked in Tech/TMD. A great place to work. Still have my wellies from the stores dept.

Last edited:
Back