• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Avery Edwards Tanning of Yardley

daid rathgen

master brummie
"Avery Edwards” “Avery Gardens” “Avery’s Timber Yard"
These names appear in a 1730 Will, probated in 1761. Will of Joseph Withers which says he bought this house and dwelling of Avery Edwards from Robert Pratt and the land from Samuel Raven. I see there is an area in Edgbaston named Avery Fields. Wondering if anybody knows if the modern Fields were once Avery Gardens and Avery's Timber Yard.
Thank you

There is an article from 1978 in the Birmingham Post concerning Tanners at Yardley. It mentions that tanning had been going on in Yardley from at least 1780 when Avery Edwards started a tan yard in Balsall Heath, and his nephew moved it to
Yardley in 1802.

There is an article from 1978 in the Birmingham Post concerning Tanners at Yardley. It mentions that tanning had been going on in Yardley from at least 1780 when Avery Edwards started a tan yard in Balsall Heath, and his nephew moved it to
Yardley in 1802.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Will check it out.
Cheers

Just by way of addition: Joseph defines his house as 40 feet long by 22 feet wide; plus all the surrounding land.
40 x 22 feet doesn't sound particularly large. Just a cottage? A shed? Or were the measurements different back then?
David

That is about twice the original footprint of our Victorian/Edwardian terraced cottage o_O
Our 1902 property is about 12 foot wide and from the front door to the original back wall (before the modern extension) is just over 40 foot.
So I would say a reasonable sized cottage. Not large by today's standards.

My friend over the road has a three car garage. It's just a bit smaller than 40 feet, so we reckon Joe's house would be a decent size. Maybe also then double storey.
Cheers, very helpful.

Hi Pedrocut: "There is an article from 1978 in the Birmingham Post concerning Tanners at Yardley."
Unable to locate the article. Our society's subscription has gone awol.
Cheers

Back