• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Avenue Rd - Patshull Place & Mabel Place

Peter Cothill

Brummie babby
Hi,

I have located Avenue Rd Duddeston on some old maps and can reasonably confidently locate nos 32 & 34. I have ancestors who lived at 2 Mabel Place, 32 Avenue Rd, then 1 Patshull Place, Avenue Rd (no house number), and finally at 34 Avenue Rd, between 1891 and 1901. The maps show a number of houses at the back of 32/34 - there appears to be a covered entry between these two Leading from the Road. Are there any maps which confirm the location of Mabel Place and Patshull Place?

Thanks

Hi Peter, I don't know if this helps but Patshull Place is behind 32 & 34 (I think you knew that), there are four houses (blue) No. 1 would most likely be on the left. It would probably be a covered entry to get to these, that allows a part of a bedroom to be over the entry. I can't find Mabel Place at the moment but will have another look tomorrow.

Attachments

• av-road.jpg
    av-road.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 8
SnapBrummy lad. Just about to post.
But will add that 1920 (and 1910 electoral roll shows Patshull Place between 32 & 34. I think it likely that Mabel Place changed its name to Patshull place

avenue road,1920.34.jpg

SnapBrummy lad. Just about to post.
But will add that 1920 (and 1910 electoral roll shows Patshull Place between 32 & 34. I think it likely that Mabel Place changed its name to Patshull place

View attachment 152165
Mike, could you possibly decipher the BP, R, HO.O and the strange symbol by Henry Hudson's name and presumably they had two votes where an abode is shown.
Bob

The first set of letters, double or single, indicates the Parliamentary Qualification and the second set of letters, double or single the Local Government Qualification.
Examples
HO/HO = Qualification for both elections through Husband's Occupation
R/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through Residence Qualification & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification
NM/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through being a Naval or Military voter & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification

I am not sure what the other symbol means. Here is a link to the explanation on the midlands historical data site on electoral rolls, though this does not seem to mention it.

The first set of letters, double or single, indicates the Parliamentary Qualification and the second set of letters, double or single the Local Government Qualification.
Examples
HO/HO = Qualification for both elections through Husband's Occupation
R/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through Residence Qualification & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification
NM/O = Qualification for Parliamentary Elections through being a Naval or Military voter & Qualification for Local Government Elections through Occupational Qualification

I am not sure what the other symbol means. Here is a link to the explanation on the midlands historical data site on electoral rolls, though this does not seem to mention it.
Mike
Thank you very much indeed.

Bob

Back