• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auxiliary Fire Service

kkk1.jpeg-----kkk2.jpeg
I know this is not what was requested but it is about Birmingham Fire Brigade.

1-HobmoorRoad1940.jpg
1-AFScalthorpPark30thApril1940.jpg

My fatherAlbert Weston was in the Auxilery Fire Service during the war and served at various stations. namely Lingard St, Bordesley Green, Wash Lane, Kings Heath, Hob Moor Rd and Kings Norton. He served with Vick Kent at the Wartime Fire Station in Waterloo Road, Hay Mills. I have attached a picture of him(the tall one at the back) with his crew at Hob Moor Road note the fireman in anti-gas clothing. Also, I would like the members help to track down a close up photo of him talking to the King at an exercise in Calthorp Park on 18th April,1940 I have attached a picture of that exercise but the one I want is the one of dad speaking to th King at the exercise if that is possible? aggie

1-HobmoorRoad1940.jpg
1-AFScalthorpPark30thApril1940.jpg

My fatherAlbert Weston was in the Auxilery Fire Service during the war and served at various stations. namely Lingard St, Bordesley Green, Wash Lane, Kings Heath, Hob Moor Rd and Kings Norton. He served with Vick Kent at the Wartime Fire Station in Waterloo Road, Hay Mills. I have attached a picture of him(the tall one at the back) with his crew at Hob Moor Road note the fireman in anti-gas clothing. Also, I would like the members help to track down a close up photo of him talking to the King at an exercise in Calthorp Park on 18th April,1940 I have attached a picture of that exercise but the one I want is the oneof dad speaking to th King if that is possible? aggie

I was there in May for the Fire Service memorial. I have some pics of the day and I will post them when I have got the hang of it my last pictures disappeared.

My father Wilfred Barr was in the A.F.S.during the war,and worked out of Burlington St school Aston, he was also in the fire brigade where he worked at Geo Ellisons,l can'nt remember him saying to much about the service ,l know he was on hand when a landmine dropped in lozells and did say he saw some terrible sights....my dad was a very immotional person and would get quite upset telling a few stories, so l guess thats why he did'nt talk about it much...Brenda

Hi,
Been away from the site for ages, working on my forthcoming poetry book! What a gem to return! Especially to see a name I recognise! Harry Bagshaw was a great friend of my dear Auntie Ruby Maddox - chief clerk sites and buildings central and also saw war service! In Birmingham, then at Plymouth. I vaguely remember a face, used to visit a lot when I was growing up and as a young adult. I think Harry was at Auntie Ruby's retirement party - off to check her cards as we speak!

Jan
Hi Jan. This your cousin Eddy Maddox[ Harry,s son ] i have been trying for ages to find out more about dads time in NFS during WW2 if you find any records please drop me a line, hope everything is good with you. PS i see Kath & Ray now & then at the Tamworth FC

When my father returned from Dunkirk,he was transferred to the fire service in Birmingham during the bombings.He was station in Broad Street opposite Gas Street at Reeve and Stedeford's showroom.In his days with Birmingham Fire Service he was based at Lingard Street,Albion Street,Bordesley Green,Wash Lane and Ward End Park.

Hi Everyone.
I recently joined this forum because of this thread. My Dad, William “Bill” Winman was initially in the Army, then drafted into the fire service as he had experience before ww2. I’ve seen his army records and it says his fire station was A.F.S. Station 3/4 31 Somerset Rd Edgebaston, Birmingham 15. I’ve looked at in on Google street view (as I live an hours drive away from Birmingham) and can’t see a fire station, only a house on one side of the road and a large school on the other side. Does anyone know if one of these is the right place please? Is it possible the building was requisitioned by the service? My Dad told several tales about his time in the fire service, covering both Birmingham and Coventry during the blitz. He was the driver of the vehicle and once unknowingly parked the vehicle over an unexploded bomb! As the driver he also looked after the “pump” while his mates used the hoses. He knew the worse had happened when the water pressure to the hoses fell and it was very likely that a bomb fell on one of his mates. He managed to survive the war and lived until 1988.
Anyway, does anyone have any information please, anything like Station officer’s name, firemen’s names, photos or any little details at all.
Does Ian Forrester ([email protected]) still help out too?
Has anyone had any luck with the Library in Birmingham / central library, with regards to this?
I’ve also been trying to look at all the photos mentioned in this thread, but I can’t see them, anyone know why please?
Many thanks, Kevin.

Can't helpe except to say that directories of that period do not list a no 31 (not all houses were listed. Maps from c 1938 and 1952 show a similar layout and would put no 31 somewhere in the grounds of a house named Penryhn (unnumbered), the large house to the east being no 25, and houses on the west of Richmond Hill Road, starting at no 41

The Auxiliary Fire Service was started a couple of years before WW2. It got established on a similar basis to the Home Guard i.e. volunteers and some very unusual vehicle and equipment. Due to the blitz and neighbouring city or town fire service equipment not always compatible the National Fire Service was inaugurated in 1941. It strangely enough had no legal position until 1943. After WW2, in 1947 in fact, UK fire brigades one again became under City or County control. There were wholetime firemen - usually in large towns and cities - and the retained firemen who did another job but responded to a fire alarm.

The reason, most likely, that the fire stations of the AFS do not exist now - as fire stations anyway - is that they usually were housed in any suitable building- not necessarily a good one - but used as a garage and accommodation of sorts. Many reverted to other uses or demolished for other structures but some, or their sites, became the new post WW2 fire station.

Hi Ian,
Great to hear from you and your Group. I posted a photograph in October 2010 of a large group of AFS/NFS Firemen. They are grouped in front of a large ivy covered building, but I don't know where it is (other than somewhere in Birmingham). My Dad, Henry Bamford (known as Harry) is 6th from the left on the back row. He lived in Alum Rock and I think he was stationed at Norton Hall (think that is the large white building in Ward End Park, Washwood Heath), but I dont think that is the building in the photograph. Do you think anyone in your Group can identify it? Or maybe they might recognise someone in the photo from their past. I have Dad's cap badge which I have attached to a leather key ring. Cheers, Judy Walker (nee Bamford).
A long shot here. My Mother was stationed at Ward End NFS Fire Station, which was at the very end of Ward End Park, by the Public Toilets. Maybe this is where your relation was stationed. Hope this helps. Also, there was a BAMFORD family, who lived in Rogers Road, Ward End in the 1950's - I remember a Maureen Bamford. Regards from Jacko.

My Uncle, Norman Felton, was a member of the AFS when he worked at KYNOCKS at Witton, Birmingham. I remember him taking part in inter-area PUMP competitions from time to time. Each pump team had to detach trailer pump from tender, set up ready to use hoses and aim hose water jet at a wooden target on at eight foot post. The winners were the team to knock down the target in the shortest time. The winners received a cup.

A long shot here. My Mother was stationed at Ward End NFS Fire Station, which was at the very end of Ward End Park, by the Public Toilets. Maybe this is where your relation was stationed. Hope this helps. Also, there was a BAMFORD family, who lived in Rogers Road, Ward End in the 1950's - I remember a Maureen Bamford. Regards from Jacko.

I was really interested in this thread, as I got a huge shock when I accessed the 1939 Register and discovered that my Dad had served in the AFS in Smethwick. He is recorded as such on the Register. Later on, he served in the army in North Africa, Sicily and Italy, but was not called up immediately in 1939. In 1939, he was an Architect and Surveyor's Assistant, and lived at home in Bishopton Road, Bearwood. He never, ever, mentioned his involvement in the AFS.

I initially contacted Sandwell Community History and Archives Service, who were very helpful but hold no relevant records. I then tried the West Midlands Fire Service Heritage Group. Mr Forrester checked the few records they hold, to no avail.

However, although it seems unlikely I will ever find out more directly relating to my father's involvement, I still have some burning questions (sorry for the pun).

Did people volunteer for the AFS in September 1939? Or were people recommended? Or was it that eligible people were given a choice, this or ARP? Was my Dad's background as a working Architect and Quantity Surveyor of particular use, as he would have had a good working knowledge of building structures? Was there training? Anything anyone can tell me would be really valuable - or is there anything written about it?

Best wishes

Jane J

My mother was recruited to the NFS but as I was only five when the war started I don't know if she actually did much more than being listed, dad was in the Civil Defence and I recall he used to attend at Sidcup Road and was on the roof of the Times Furnishing shop when Coventry got a beating.

I also have an AFS badge in my drawer with my mother's name on it

I think it quite likely, Eric, that your mother was in a Control Room. Most stations had them, some large others smaller.

Can any one help me

My father served in the Fire Service in Birmingham in the second world war, all I know is that his job prevented him from going to war and that he was a part time fireman as well. I would like to try and find out about his service at that time, is there any way I can!! At the time they lived in the Saltley/Alum Rock area of Birmingham

In 1939 every man had to register , I believe it was at this stage personal were deemed to be available For the Forces or in a reserved trade required for the manufacture or services to help in the War objectives.
Personal that were excluded from serving in the armed forces was allowed by the local government to allocate community based war actions such as compulsory service in Home Guard, AFS, ARP, and other emergency services outside the working hours.
Attachments show my fathers registration papers, he was allocated Senior ARP Warden at GEC Works Witton, also Senior Street Warden where he lived in Birdbrook Road, Great Barr these extra duties should not exceed 48 hours in a month.
As a senior hand he was able on behalf of the Local Council allocate duties to personal living in the area and be carto ry out the necessary shift rota's.

During the War it was necessary place AFS equipment in other areas other than Fire Stations in Dad's area the Main Control Centre was Corporation Street, Local Fire Station College Rd, and sub stations at Maybury Farm Great Barr & Dunedin Road Kingstanding.

Looking through Dad's documents he had to attend many lectures of safety aspects to the communities to keep themselves and properties safe in the event of an direct hits from bombs or gas attacks.
It really was a Dad's Army stirrup pumps, sand filled buckets and gas masks to tackle the threat of Fire Bombs and Gas attacks.

I remember seeing a lone yellow AFS pump damping a fire down after the raid flattened the junction of Victoria Rd & Lichfield Rd. trams came from Birmingham and had to be returned before junction Outside Taylors the Toy Shop as the road was completely blocked I will never forget this sight as young as I was I still have vivid memories of that morning.
We lived just a few yards away and suffered no damage, but landed in our back yard was a bomb storage container which must have been thrown from the German plane it had four compartments was approx 8ft long X 1.5 ft wide about afoot deep it landed on the path leading up the yard.

How luck we were if it been a bomb number 4 & 6 Sandy Lane would been flattened somebody looking after us that night, it even missed the chicken pen and run at the top of yard.

Regard Ray

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 42
Here is Birmingham Auxiliary Fire Service. Roll Of Honour . Date killed
J.H. Eaton. B 12868. 133 Third Avenue Small Heath. 17.10. 1940 .
L. Jone . B. 886. 104 Willed Road Winston Green. 24 .10. 1940.
E.F. Quinn. B. 10 539. 14 Dares Road. Eddington. 24. 10. 1940
C,A. Perry. B. 6827. 9/23 Malt house lane
Washwood. Heath 25. 10. 1940.
U.S.Kendrick B 13176. 255 Aston church Rd
Was wood Heath. 25.10. 1940.
A.H Lowe. B 4004. 213 Rocky Lane PerryBarr. 14.11. 1940.
HV.Lugg. B 12760. 565 King standing Road. 19.11. 1940.
A. Cope B 11238. 49 Stephens road
Selly Oak. 19.11 1940.
R. Burrows. B5041. 205 Heathfield Road. 20 ,11. 1940
A.J Davies. B, 11601. 275 cateswell road Hall Green. 2.11 1940.
F.A Hammond B, 10364. 249 ST .Margaret's Rd. Ward End. 8.4. 1941.
Those people are only a Handful but I do have more to follow
Best wishes Astonian,''',Alan,,,,

Selly Oak. 19.11 1940.
Selly Oak. 19.11 1940.
Have you seen the Fire Service Memorial at the NMA at Alrewas? BernardView attachment 82164
The Birmingham War memorial to the firemaen killed during WW2 can be viewed online at War Memorials On Line. Insert Birmingham Auxiliary Fireman then enter. https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/search.
Tony

Last edited:
I had a school friend whose father was a Birmingham firefighter during WW2. I do not know whether he was AFS or NFS. As he was unfit for military service I guess he could have been AFS also after the end of WW2 he took up another profession having and owning an electrical retail shop. The list in the previous posts show those who lost their lives in the early part of the war, usually known as the blitz.

Interesting thread. Grandad was in the AFS killed with twin sons on November 19th 1940.
I take it your grandad was Alfred Cope killed during a raid on the 19th November 1940 aged 51. Also killed were his two 18 year old sons John & Stanley. Stanley died from his injuries three days after the raid at Selly Oak Hospital. Alfred's wife Maud survived this raid at 49 St Stephens Road, Selly Park. The raid on the night of the 19th November lasted for nine hours 40 minutes claiming the lives of three firemen and injuring another 31. The raids were mainley concentrated on the southern part of the city and as the night progressed the fire situation became serious. Hundreds of fires were blazing in the Bordesley Green,& Small Heath areas. Also bombed on the 19th were Smethwick & Solihull. The other two Birmingham AFS men killed on the 19th November 1940 were Hubert Victor Lugg aged 35, killed tackling a fire at W H Ferris & Co Long Acre Birmingham and Edward Carless aged 31, killed whilst tackling a fire at Ryvita Co Ltd, Bordesley Green Birmingham.

Tony

That's my uncle, I wish I could find out more about him.
Hi Scrumper,

Your uncle Arthur John Thomas Davies died on the 23/11/1940 not 2/11/40 you have quoted. See details on the Commonwealth War Graves Web site https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/3153421/DAVIES, ARTHUR JOHN THOMAS. Arthur aged 34 was married to Lily Davies both living at 275 Cateswell Road, Hall Green, Birmingham. Arthur died at Queen Elizabeth hospital Birmingham following injuries received on the night of the 22nd November 1940. The bombing on the night of the 22nd & 23rd November 1940 lasted 11 hours and was the worst the city had experienced up to then. The raids were spread over most of the city with large fires everywhere. Every available man and pump were sent to the fire ground. Firemen battling in the midst of one serious fire were cut off by flames and had to abandon their pumps to reach safety. The lack of water due to fractured water mains allowed small fires to join up to become large conflagrations. By the morning of the 23rd, 209 appliances had been drafted into the city as well as 1000 extra men who had come in on buses and trains. Four firemen were killed and 94 badly injured. The four killed being;
Arthur John Thomas Davies aged 34 of 275 Cateswell Road Hall Green Birmingham.
Joseph Edward Hibbard of 31 Anderson Road, Erdington Birmingham. Joseph died on the 26th November following injuries received on the night of the 22nd November.
Percy Frank Allen, aged 39 of 24 Lincoln Street Balsall Heath, Birmingham, killed fighting a fire at Edward Road, Birmingham. Husband of Charlotte Allen.
Islwyn Michael Jones aged 29 of 132 Hagley Road, Birmingham died on the 23rd November following injuries received at a fire in Great Colmore Street Birmingham on the night of the 22nd.

Hope this is of interest

Tony

I take it your grandad was Alfred Cope killed during a raid on the 19th November 1940 aged 51. Also killed were his two 18 year old sons John & Stanley. Stanley died from his injuries three days after the raid at Selly Oak Hospital. Alfred's wife Maud survived this raid at 49 St Stephens Road, Selly Park. The raid on the night of the 19th November lasted for nine hours 40 minutes claiming the lives of three firemen and injuring another 31. The raids were mainley concentrated on the southern part of the city and as the night progressed the fire situation became serious. Hundreds of fires were blazing in the Bordesley Green,& Small Heath areas. Also bombed on the 19th were Smethwick & Solihull. The other two Birmingham AFS men killed on the 19th November 1940 were Hubert Victor Lugg aged 35, killed tackling a fire at W H Ferris & Co Long Acre Birmingham and Edward Carless aged 31, killed whilst tackling a fire at Ryvita Co Ltd, Bordesley Green Birmingham.

Tony
Yes, the Copes are my family.

Ruby Maddox top left riding on ex Birmingham Machine painted in NFS colours

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171116-204514.jpg
    Screenshot_20171116-204514.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 51
Hello, it is a long time since I was on the site but good to be back. My father was in the NFS and am attaching a photo taken on 21/04/1941 he was stationed at that time at NFS Station F/3x Shirley Road (according to his driving licence) his name Norman Green and he is standing far right middle row and the person seated far right was Frank Allen.

Attachments

• NFS 1941.jpg
    NFS 1941.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 57
Back