• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auxiliary Fire Service Aston area.

Hockleyflyer

My Grandfather William Edward Taylor was a reserved occupation worker during WW2. He was ( when i knew him as a child) shift Chief Engineer at Nechells power station. Presume he would have been working at Nechells A back then, but later worked at Nechells B after the war. He did 45 Years with the Electricity board.
I used to play in his garden shed where a black tin helmet with two lines around it hung for many years. ( white or red, cant recall) I believe he was either in the AFS or on fire watch during this period in the Aston/Nechells area. He lived in Kingstanding on Rough Road until his death in the early/mid 1970's.

Is there anyone who can advise if researching at Birmingham Library would uncover anything useful about the activities of the AFS during WW2. I cant imagine there will be anything specific on my grandad, but it would be interesting to learn what he and his colleagues may have been involved with.
Regards,
Hockleyflyer.

What a coincidence, I have just returned from West Midlands Fire Service HQ where there was a Centenary commemoration of the Nechell's Gas Works Incident of 26th Feb 1919 where two Birmingham Fire Brigade men were killed attempting rescues. Station Officer Moon from Linguard Street Fire Station was lowered in by line whilst wearing breathing apparatus to rescue two workmen who had been overcome by a 'Town' gas leak. Unfortunately, he to became unconscious. Fireman Dyche from Moseley Road Fire Station then was lowered down also wearing breathing apparatus to rescue the Station Officer but was soon overcome. Both firemen and both workmen died. Full story on the West Midlands Fire Service website.
As far as AFS/NFS records go, they are few and far between as the Home Office had the records in London, which were subject to bombing and then after the war ended records were returned to the local fire authorities, who over the years have had several clear outs.

Welcome to the Forum, Hockleyflyer and Fozdyke.

I assume you have also seen the major AFS thread here on this Forum, within this "Fire Service" section. Worth a read through.

Chris.

I believe the AFS helmets during WW2 were khaki with red bands and white (officer rank) with red bands whereas NFS were black and white also with red bands.
This link is interesting for info about helmets and who wore them.

\there doesn't seem to be a specific helmet thread though many threads mentions various types of helmet.
I have not seem mention of Birmingham company making steel helmets in WW1 but in WW2 a few names arise.
Fisher & Ludlow
Austin Motor Co.(Cowley)
William Dodson & Sons
E. Camelinat & Co.
Joseph Sankey & Sons were nearby in Bilston as were the Clydesdale Stamping Co. in Dudley.

Last edited:
What a coincidence, I have just returned from West Midlands Fire Service HQ where there was a Centenary commemoration of the Nechell's Gas Works Incident of 26th Feb 1919 where two Birmingham Fire Brigade men were killed attempting rescues. Station Officer Moon from Linguard Street Fire Station was lowered in by line whilst wearing breathing apparatus to rescue two workmen who had been overcome by a 'Town' gas leak. Unfortunately, he to became unconscious. Fireman Dyche from Moseley Road Fire Station then was lowered down also wearing breathing apparatus to rescue the Station Officer but was soon overcome. Both firemen and both workmen died. Full story on the West Midlands Fire Service website.
As far as AFS/NFS records go, they are few and far between as the Home Office had the records in London, which were subject to bombing and then after the war ended records were returned to the local fire authorities, who over the years have had several clear outs.

Fozdyke,
Thanks for the reply and the update on availability of information. I will also have a look at the other thread mentioned by Chris M. Indeed, some coincidence:). Truly selfless acts of heroism by blokes who if they survived would no doubt say they were just doing their job.

I work for the Home office, so I understand the situation about bombing, but I never understood the logic of centralising records in the capital at such a time. War Office military records from WW1 and before also suffered destruction from incendiaries. This has hampered my research on the Argyle and Sutherland Regiment too....

I recall the Gas works. Before Health and Safety regulations made the workplace safer for all concerned. My grandad would take me along on a Saturday morning to show me around the place he worked. I saw the Generator House of Nechells B, Under the concrete cooling towers, I believe due to teh warm water the fishing was quite good there:) I also witnessed a power overload on a massive breaker unit one time. The sparks were impressive and the voltages involved were immense. I was never in any danger my Grandfather saw to that, but he wanted me to respect and understand the power of electricity...he called it 'the invisible killer'. They had a coking plant there as well I think. My memory of it recalled the smell of tomcats:).
Regards
Iain.

I believe the AFS helmets during WW2 were khaki with red bands and white (officer rank) with red bands whereas NFS were black and white also with red bands.
This link is interesting for info about helmets and who wore them.

\there doesn't seem to be a specific helmet thread though many threads mentions various types of helmet.
I have not seem mention of Birmingham company making steel helmets in WW1 but in WW2 a few names arise.
Fisher & Ludlow
Austin Motor Co.(Cowley)
William Dodson & Sons
E. Camelinat & Co.
Joseph Sankey & Sons were nearby in Bilston as were the Clydesdale Stamping Co. in Dudley.
Radiorails,
Thanks for the information on helmets, most interesting. I must say that memory is for the most part unreliable...especially mine in advancing years:). So its possible it may have been khaki with Red bands. Im assuming he wouldnt be reserved occupation and in the NFS? although I guess in wartime then, anything was possible with the shortage of manpower, and the ladies taking up jobs in factories. My Gran Bates worked as a lathe operator at the Kynoch munitions factory in Witton and lived on Brantley Road.....Higgs motors was nearby in the late 1960's...again I think? :)

When I joined the Fire Service in 1965 there were still some long serving men who had traces of red bands which were usually concealed by the later white tape(s), later white reflective, bands. From time to time the white tapes needed replacing after a few years of heat and smoke. It was then that the red ones often became visible. This would have been on black dense cork helmets with a high comb. A back plastic helmet was introduced, sometime in the late 1950's I believe, with a small comb, but were not continued. In 1976 a national decision to change to yellow helmets took place. Bands were now black for those entitled to wear them. Officer ranks still had white coloured helmets with black bands. Existing black helmets were painted yellow (base coat and top gloss coat). Newer yellow ones - and officer white ones - were a lightweight 'plastic' type which were a pleasure to wear. However the union said they were unsuitable so were not continued and withdrawn. Subsequently another type and style was introduced. There was no comb, with just a central stiffening design. In the SW some wags called them 'pasty' helmets. Since then - but outside my time - there have been yet newer styles, the latest resembling crash helmets. The older style, with comb and protruding back part, were very difficult if you had to wear a lifejacket when at sea or on a river. In fast they had to be worn retro to enable you to see properly. :eek:

I have to wear Personal Protection Equipment for my day job, but fortunately, nothing as uncomfortable as a Helmet and BA equipment. ( stab jacket and handcuffs:)) I guess BA was a bit rare in 1965.Probably ex military issue naval stuff:) I would have been 4 years old then. I recall the yellow helmets well. Would you have been involved with the Mulberry Bush bombings in 74?...

. Would you have been involved with the Mulberry Bush bombings in 74?...
I you man was I, the answer is no, I was always in Devon, but we had our moments just like everyone else. And yes, BA, was not that widespread, I guess we were the last of the 'smoke eaters'.

Back