• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Autumn & winter in the Garden

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fruits and mellow fruitfulness, nice thought.

Putting the garden to sleep is blinking hard work, mowing for possibly the last time, cutting back shrubs etc., but I wouldn;t change it, There is something magical about Autumn, the smell and the colours .
Looking at newly cleared borders knowing that in a few months the tips of bulbs will appear.
Crikey, I think Covid and more time in the garden has made me a bit sloppy,lol.

Radiorails

master brummie
Given our long lockdown - still basically in it - our gardens are looking very tidy, except for the leaves of the sycamores! The grass was cut and leaves all put in a compost bin. eaves have still to fall from magnolia and lilac but we are still in a very mild spell of weather. Roses are in flower as are many other plants, just less of them. I expect more grass cutting to come.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks alberta...as members can see we now have a new fresh autumn in the garden thread..the aim is to post about what is going on in your gardens and what you are doing...we love to see photos of anything such as the birds...foxes and anything else that may visit you also the leaves are in wonderful colour at the min so photos of those would be great..we used to have a resident heron but hes gone now :( some of you may recall i had a hedgehog visiting for 4 weeks but he packed up and went somewhere else...however i have built a hog house and at the weekend i shall be gathering up a load of fallen leaves to cover the house for some privacy just in case i have a lodger over the winter...:) but above all can we please remember that although we may not like some of things that our wildlife gets up to it is only nature and we cant change that.....thanks everyone look forward to reading your posts

lyn

lmr3103

master brummie
As we back onto a field and are next to woods we get all varieties of wildlife... the good, the bad and the ugly! .... even saw a polecat a couple of weeks ago! I would love to take a photo of the woodpecker that’s visiting at the moment but he flies off the minute I go outside. A lot of you manage to take some wonderful pics... any tips would be welcome!
Lynn.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
As we back onto a field and are next to woods we get all varieties of wildlife... the good, the bad and the ugly! .... even saw a polecat a couple of weeks ago! I would love to take a photo of the woodpecker that’s visiting at the moment but he flies off the minute I go outside. A lot of you manage to take some wonderful pics... any tips would be welcome!
Lynn.
hi lynn. buy your self a trail cam. i have a few and they are good. it captures all that come in my grounds.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our bird nuts are in a wire container at the top of a metal 'shepherds crook'
They have recently started to disappear in the night.
We took Petes advice to Lynn and bought a camera.
Last night Mr Ratty came a few times to fill himself with nuts, no problem at all for him getting up the metal pole.
We have decided to bring the nuts in at dark and put them out in the morning, Well I have
Steve would just set a trap for him
Alberta.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i am still trying to get some winter pansies but rain and bus decorating has stopped play...hoping to get them in over the weekend

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
It's been a funny year for plants this year, Pedro. All alongside the main roads we have pink, white, and red oleanders. As the roads aren't fenced, they were planted to deter large animals as their leaves are poisonous. Apparently four leaves will kill a large horse, but the animals avoid them. They look very attractive in June, and by July the flowers have gone until the following year. However, right now they are all flowering again - first time I have known that.

Maurice :cool: