• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Australia immigration

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Please can anybody help with the following relative details.
Charles Henry Jukes born Aston 1878 immigrated to Perth West Australia on 18August 1928 with the Orient Ship line on the Ship Orovsa from London.
I can't find any details when he arrived in Perth ?

Lloyd's News
Orsova left Gibraltar Aug 22

Orsova, London for Brisbane, left Toulon Aug 25.
Left Suez, Aug 30
Left Colombo Sep 8
Left Adelaide Sep 25.

As Perth is in Western Australia and Adelaide is further to the East, he must have arrived some time before the 25th September.

As Perth is in Western Australia and Adelaide is further to the East, he must have arrived some time before the 25th September.
West Australia was only just developing so he might have had to go Adelaide. He ended up working on the building railway of the railway in Perth area

I think you will find that most of shipping in the 19th century from GB to Aus. came down the east coast & across to the west to Adelaide (South Aus.), The Bight & round to Perth. (I think this is the shortest when you take the curvature into account)
Perth was founded in 1829, Governor Hindmarsh didnt arrive in Holdfast Bay (Adelaide) until the end of 1836.
John (Now you now why I'm Sajohn)

I think you will find that most of shipping in the 19th century from GB to Aus. came down the east coast & across to the west to Adelaide (South Aus.), The Bight & round to Perth. (I think this is the shortest when you take the curvature into account)
Perth was founded in 1829, Governor Hindmarsh didnt arrive in Holdfast Bay (Adelaide) until the end of 1836.
John (Now you now why I'm Sajohn)
Thanks very much for info it's all adding to a picture that didn't have the luxury of today's travellers.
From the value information I'm getting even when you arrived it was a hard life, but they took a chance and in later years reaped the benefits.

Ray...As the maiden voyage of the Orsova would be followed with interest in June 1909, it is easier to track the voyage. Here is a few of the calling points...

June 26 leaves Tilbury
June 28 leaves Plymouth
June 30 arrived Gibraltar
July 19 leaves Colombo (Sri Lanka)
July 29 arrives Freemantle (Perth)
Aug 2 calls Adelaide
Aug 4 calls Melbourne

So maybe Perth may have been the first port of call, and the on round eventually to Brisbane?

Just having a quick look for anything about Perth in late 1928. The MCC arrived in October on the Otrento, the sister ship of the Orsova...

9A11CB7F-D625-43B5-8501-D84B21140868.jpeg

Back