• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Austin J40 and Pathfinder pedal cars

Lee Marshall

Brummie babby
Hello everyone,

I am working with the author on the research for a new book on the Austin J40 and Pathfinder pedal cars, due for publication later this year.
I'm very keen to source any previously unseen images from the 50's and 60's for possible inclusion in the book.

In addition, I am keen to learn more about the J40's use in children's road safety and am aware that Birmingham Police regularly used Austin pedal cars with local schools back in the day.

A fleet of J40's were also seen on the roof garden of Lewis's department store too, so if you happen to have any images that could be used in the book, I would be extremely grateful.

Regards

Lee Marshall

There is a thread about Pedal Cars on the forum with images. Probably not suitable for your project but there are some comments about A40 cars and one not very clear image of an A40 received as a Christmas present. Unfortunately a spelling mistake in the old thread title evades searches.

Thanks everyone for sharing the above.

Fortunately, we already have copies of this wonderful Austin Motor Company promotional material in the research archive, so the next challenge is to unearth some genuinely unseen gems of J40's and Pathfinders out and about in period 50's Britain...

Best regards,

Lee

I had a pedal car

Attachments

• 36943056_1415162885250410_2495754179436347392_o.jpg
    36943056_1415162885250410_2495754179436347392_o.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 13
My second cousin had a part in this film. He was at school somewhere in Oxfordshire I think and some of the pupils were recruited as extras. He didn’t get to speak, but he did get to tip a bucket of water over Norman in one scene!

As for the pedal cars, I seem to remember them being used at my school (Mapledene), presumably for road safety lessons. I can’t remember the details, but I can remember being keen to ride one but being denied that pleasure.

I remember finding a body for one on the bomb peck when i was a kid. so i adapted it and made a go-cart out of it with pram wheels:grinning:

Back