• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auntie Tizzie's sweet shop at 24 Ellen Street, Spring Hill

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
I'm afraid this is a bit outside your area, but my great aunt Tizzie (Elizabeth) inherited the place from her parents, who had moved there from a shop in Cecil Street, off Newtown Row in about 1908.
You went up a step though a glass panelled dorrinto the shop itself, about 14 feet square. The counter was on the left, and behind it ann incredeible collection of articles on display, from sweets, chocolates and pop to soaps, ironmongery and stationery. There was a cast iron paraffin heater for nthe winter. The shop was normally deserted as you opened the door and a bell sounded. "Yerss?", her voice would come from behing the bead curtain screen the living room to the right. Out would shuffle "Our Tiz" as her sisters called her. She said very little, and in response to anything unusual or funny she would just say "teh!". But she was a kindly person, and every child that went in got a sweet.
Her living room was like a museum, with nothing thrown away. Two sideboards crammed with bric a brac.
I don't know whether she was widowed around the time of World War 1, or whether Mr Smith went missing (she was a formidable lady) - anyway she ran it single handed from the 1920s until April 1952, when my grandmother, who had just belatedly retired from teaching, ran it for two weeks to close it down properly, and poor old Auntie Tizzie died. I do remember the following two weeks clearing out the stock and family heirlooms, inclkuding her mother's wedding dress (they would have been married in the 1870s!) In the end it took five dust-carts to clear the place.

Sweetshops

Thanks Peter, but I don't think there is actually a connection with the sweetshop which was ran by my relatives. I'm pretty sure that the sweetshop they had wasn't in that area.

Rice's Sweet Shop

Rice's two doors up from Milton Street and next door to the second hand shop run by an old Jewish couple she'd ask my younger sister and myself to light her Gas stove she used to turn the Gas on and we would light the match she used to scare us at first but we got used to her :?

Back