• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Auntie Cakes

Maria Magenta

master brummie
My great-aunt in Stechford was always known as Auntie. (Her husband was always known as Uncle. I don't know why). She often used to make small cakes with coconut, or coconut fairy cakes. When my nephew was little, he used to call them "Auntie cakes." Did anyone else have a relative who gave their name to something edible?

maria

Maria,

After my mother in her later life moved into sheltered housing, we used to visit her every Thursday evening and that gave her the opportunity to bake umpteen cupcakes. Believing that fat was bad for you, she cut that down to the bare minimum, the result being that they started to go dry after 24 hours. My late wife & I would bring them home and the kids called them Granny Cakes and would rarely eat them. Consequently, as soon as they started to go dry, they ended up as bird food. My wife frequently said on the way to my mothers, "Oh, yet more Granny Cakes - thank goodness she doesn't know what happens to them!".

Maurice

If only the powers that be would stop trying to produce so-called "healthy food." Meat with no fta does not have the taste, biscuits and cakes without decent fat in them are nor very nice. Presumably if the Health addicts get their way and make firms make chocolate "healthy, we either only have bitter chocolate (with no sugar), or chocolate that gives you the runs (with anal-leaking-producing sugar substitutes.
While I/m on my hobbyhorse, bring back lard and dripping to fish and chip shops throughout the country

You can still buy Farley's Rusks but they are marketed mainly for babies and toddlers up to two years old. No reason why you can't eat them when you are older. Dave.

Mike, I'm firmly with you on the fat, and one or two reports I've read lately suggest that it is good for you. Certainly much better than hydrogenated vegetable oils. Sugar & salt are being banned as well, though they were only there to make up for the lack of flavour. So they add flavourings, most of which are only chemicals anyway. My other half used to work in a flavourings laboratory some years ago. Strawberry flavouring hasn't been within ten miles of any strawberries and the same goes for many other flavourings. When I start to look like a unicorn, I'll know I've had too much of the darned chemicals.

Maurice

Maurice
I friend I worked with who was an expert in fruit, especially apples, used to reckon that soem of the very cheap nasry ciders had had an apple waved over the vat when it was being made. A joke , but one with at least a wink towards the truth

Mike,

I'm sure your friend's statement had a large element of truth. So long as it has 95% water, a small percentage of any alcohol, and any sort of flavouring resembling an apple, would anyone know the difference after a couple of pints? :)

Maurice

Back